Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 21st present

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey everyone,
    dont wanna bore you but just thought Id share a little story. I have a korean spector Q4 and a Hartke 3500 head with a VX 410. Ive been unimpressed with the amp overall and am looking to upgrade. However it was my 21st lastweek and my guitarist (loud rock band by the way) bought me a VX115, which was really cool. Anyway I hooked it (my rigs almost as tall as me, and Im tall) and the sound improved a lot! Im not just talking volume but clarity and punch. I know that is what is to be expected I just didnt think the improvement would be that significant, I was nicely impressed. Anyway I thought Id share that for some reason.

Im still looking to upgrade my amp though, having a tough time deciding, got it narrowed to a few. Thunderfunk 550 which I cant try before I buy so thats a bummer, Genz Benz 600 which I tried last week and was pretty cool (and a good price) and Im going to try an Eden 550, GK 1001rbII and maybe aguilar ag500 hopefully this week or next. Its a tough choice. Need something rockin, good for tight punchy fast picking on the low end (hard rock style) and a bit of funk.

Anyway thanks for reading hope I didnt bore you just thought Id share my thought :bassist: :bassist:

2. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah dude, when I saw it I was like, hmm Im meaning to sell all my gear soon, its a cheap crappy 15 but its made a big improvement in the sound believ it or not

3. mate, it's not so cheap crappy.... sure, it's the paper cone version rather than the alu cone, but hell, I've played one and they sound damn good. mixed with the rest of your rig you'd get a pretty wicked sound. What bass you playing through it? {edit - spector, right?}

4. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah mate, Its a spector, Q4, cheap korean model but love the feel of it, might look to upgrade pickups though

5. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Any input on a new amp is mostappreciated by the way

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A good amp will still sound like crap through crap speakers.

7. thats cool, great having tall rigs aint it :D

8. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey just got in contact with greensquare.net and theyre gonna be stockingf accugroove speakerrs real soon, good times

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If you're checking out those heads, do yourself a favor and try to try out the Traynor 200W tube head or a used Fender/Sunn 300. You might just get real happy with that sound...and they're in same price range. :bassist:

10. This is the subject of another thread and different forum, but without buying anything you can set up your truss rod, action, and intonation. Raise the pickups a little bit. You'll be very surpsised at how much better the notes blend and with the 15, your bass will really shine. If you'll look at my sig I have a Q4. I do all the adjustments myself. Spector makes a very sturdy bass.

The reason I mentioned this is because it is the next step in getting a good tone.

11. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah thanks mate, but my action is allrite, I havent got it too low, i thought about it but with a bit more effort I can still play with how it is now and get a better sound

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Vin, Accugroove will cost a ton over here, be ready for that. I mean, they're allready pretty much the most expensive box in the states, and you know how much prices climb when gear comes across here. Schroeder is also coming here through Dave at greensqaure in the coming year, so that may be another thing to look for, they'l be cheaper too.

Now, amp wise. Are you sure you can't get a TF from dave on a trial period? Or is that only with Acme cabs? If not, looking out used over here can yield great results. I picked up a Trace Elliot V8 (400 watt all tube & very rare) for $1800au, which is dirt cheap for what it is.

GK might serve you well, they're cheap here, fast and punchy amps that are nice and clean. Edens alot more organic sounding, and warmer, yet still punchy (ever heard Dirk Lance, the old incubus's bassist's, live tone?) and the GBE is also a nice amp.
    The aggy was a nice amp I found, could sound nice and thick for a SS amp, yet stay clean and defined.

It's really up to you, just don't ignore the used market IMO becuse gear over here is ridiculously priced, and there are great used bargains popping up here and there.

13. Cool I like the idea of Dave importing Schroeders.

on topic: you should be able to try the TBF550 on the trial period offered by dave. If not the Genz Benz is a great amp for the price. Going 2nd hand there is a SWR 750x on ebay for $800 at the moment.

14. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks guys, Ill going down to check out some amps today. If I like the eden, theres a couple of wt800 ones going on e bay pretty cheap