1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 2nd ACG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wraithwrider, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    I'm not a luthier and if I don't belong in here please feel free to move me.

I visited Alan in Moffat yesterday to look at the woods for my new build that will be taking shape over the next few months.

I already have a very beautiful Harlot type S single cut 5 string that is somewhere in the forum.

I'm aware that as I progress with my playing I find myself playing safe and using my 4 strings basses. Now my ACG in terms of comfort, balance, tone and looks is my favourite bass so what to do? Commission a 4 string version of the same model no less.

This time I have a much more definate idea of what I want:

Ebony fretboard
    Single cut type S again (1st 4 string in this version)
    Amboyna burl top and headstock face
    Hondo mahogony in the 'filling'
    Flamed Sycamore back
    Sycamore and Macasser ebony 5 piece neck and back plate
    Two MM style KA pickups
    Coil switching and 18v

Obviously the bass will incrporate Alan's incredible pre-amp.

I hope to post some photo's from time to time.

I've also just finished my 1st build using the 1st single pickup ACG filter based pre-amp - it rocks big time.

Peter

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Nice choice on the Amboyna Burl.

I'm anxiously awaiting the completion of the Amboyna-topped Recurve 4 Alan is building me. Currently I'm just impatiently waiting for the next batch of progress pics. :D

3. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    My advice is to try not to do the impatient. Savour the wait. The bass will be worth it.

You can rest assured that Alan's getting it made as quickly as the process allows.

I bet you have a bass or two to keep you going :)

4. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Oh there's no doubt about that. I just know that somewhere over in Scotland my bass is being made and I can't see it! I like pictures and updates. :D

5. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    Errr... I've seen it :D

6. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well then, why didn't you take a couple pics for me!? :p