Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 2x10 is now a 1x10, blown speaker??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Feb 7, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i have an avatar 2x10 the first kinda before all the options on speakers. I was up close to it today while playing and i relized that only one of my speakers is working!!!!

Is there some way i can check the wires to make sure its not just a bad connection? It does make sense that one of my speakers would be blown because my cab recently got some snow on the cones. But the worst looking cone is the one that is working!

I kept telling myself that my cab isnt as loud as it used to be... i wonder how long its been blown for.

Any help would be great. I hear people talk about "out of phase" what does that mean?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Plug in a speaker cable with a 1/4" plug on the end. Lay a 9v battery across the 2 sections of the plug and you should see the cones both move together. If one doesn't move- it's broke. If one moves in, while the other moves out, the speakers are wired out of phase.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

what kind of cable?? you mean like a regualr 1/4th to 1/4th speaker cable?

thanks.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    9 times out of 10, when a speaker is blown it still works, but buzzes or distorts. If you have no signal at all, I'd suspect a simple connection problem, though it *might* have a total disconnection in the voicecoil that would cause it to cut out completely.

Take it apart, trace the wires, make sure all of the connections are tight. If you can't immediately see the problem, use a signal meter, available for $10 or so at Radio Shack (and easily returnable).

Best of luck!

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    did the battery thing, only one moves.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I's possible that a connection just slipped loose inside; they use slide-on connectors sometimes.

Or... it could be fried. Again, the battery can be used to test at the speaker terminals themselves if the spacing is right.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. time to open her up. Chances are the wire has fallen off or become disconnected somehow. It's probably just a matter of plugging it back in.

If that's not the problem, do the battery test again. This time, do it to one speaker at a time and try to go directly the speaker terminals. If the speaker still doesn't move, it's gone belly-up........

8. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    what part on the speaker should i touch the bat. too?

I took the cab apart and undid the slide cable connects and put them back on. Still no sound. Is that all i have to do once i get a new speaker, connect those lil' sliders?

Any other tips before i buy my new Deltas?

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    To test with a battery, just lay the battery across the 2 terminals (one on each side usually; possibly 2 on each side at 90 degree angles). Try with the speaker that moves until you figure out how it works then do that same thing on the suspected broken one.

You have it right; just slide the connectors on the new speaker.