My $36 Goodwill bass wins the beauty contest!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanAdams, Apr 20, 2024.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I have a lot of basses and I like the way they all look... but this lowly $36 P-bass copy has really caught my fancy. Aint it sweet?
    The sun-stained pickgaurd blends nicely with the red-burst.
    IMG_5285.jpeg
    I'll look for replacement pickups or covers that don't pop out as much as these bright whites.
    IMG_5286.jpeg It's a Harmonia :D

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Stone Mountain, GA
    That's a total win.

SuperTheBass, BEADG63, Rib 13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I prefer white pickup covers. It matches the pickguard.

4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    It looks like decent wood, and I love the color. I'd just add ashtrays and not worry about the pickup housing color.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Like the look.

nixdad and DanAdams like this.
  6. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    The wood does look nice. it is solid wood, but VERY LIGHT. It's a neck-diver right now. I'm thinking that lighter tuners a higher mass bridge, and I may even shave a bit of wood off the headstock.
    My biggest problem with cheap basses is how often they are made from plywood.
    I'm not too worried about the pickup covers. I do think that cream ones might look nice.
    The covers did once match the pickguard, but the pickgaurd has changed.

I made the truss a half turn tighter, and I'll do a full setup soon.
    The electronics need work, but hey it's a P-bass, so it's about the easiest circuit in bass history.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    B-Mac, newfuture and KellyC like this.
  7. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    $36 for a bass is unheard of these days; nice score!!!

8. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007
    I would not have passed that up either! Nice score.

Looks a lot like the wood in my old Jay turser P I got from Goodwill online. Same problem too, massive neck dive. I solved it by adding nearly a pound of wheel weights to the control cavity, starting as far back as I could put them. Comically, even after adding that much weight, it was still very light weight

I thought about going high mass bridge/lightweight tuners, but glad I didn't. In the end, I needed a lot more weight change than they would have provided.

JRT64 and B-Mac like this.
  9. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2023
    Lindy Fralins offers some off white pickup covers that should match your pickguard :

[​IMG]

That’s what I would use.

Awesome bass for the price and despite it's a cheap bass, this could become your number one, we never know !

10. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a Warm Puppy and a Great Bass Supporting Member

How old do you reckon it is?
    I've only seen this 'brand' make acoustic basses more recently.

$36 is amazing regardless of brand.:woot: I'd guess its probably better made than a new Glarry?:)

I gotta stop into my Goodwill Store!!!!!!:hyper:

C Stone likes this.
  11. Nice. My biggest gripe with cheaper basses, is the tonewoods(body,neck)

If is sounds good though and has a straight neck, then who cares what it is.

Gervais Cote, DanAdams and Spyrosaab like this.
  12. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I have a Glarry that I did extensive modding to. I cut and shaped the headstock to a Stingray style 3+1. It helped with the weight problem, and it made it look like a custom bass... well I guess it kinda is a custom bass now. The stock tuners are even reversible! Whoda thunk it.
    before Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 2.31.06 PM.png
    after Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 2.17.58 PM.png
    No idea of the year. probably Chinese within the last decade.
    I think Glarrys are good as long as it's known that it will need a setup and simple fret work.

NigelD, TrustRod, C Stone and 5 others like this.
  13. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    $150 pickups on a $36 bass seems excessive.
    Dizmarzio makes a 99 set in that color.
    It also looks like I could get just the covers on eBay for about five bucks.
    I have an old set of p bass pickups from a MIM fender P-J that had an active circuit. I dont know if those are worth installing in a passive bass.

I've got some black active EMGs in my junk drawer too. I could give those a rattle can paint job :smug:

Once I get this setup I'll check out the stock pickups. I like a hot ceramic P pickup as long as it doesn't produce a lot of noise.

newfuture and C Stone like this.
  14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The white/cream pickup covers are part of the appeal. DON'T change a thing!

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    1) great find!
    2) you can get cream pickup covers cheap.
    3) It doesn't matter if the body is plywood.
    4) yes, you may need lightweight tuners.
    5) upgrade the pickup as a last resort. If you want P-bass tone, first look to see if the controls are 250 kohm pots and a .047 tone cap; wiring diagram is on line from several places. Many of these inexpensive basses used 500 kohm pots and a .022 cap, both usually used on guitar humbucker pickups instead of basses. The controls and cap are much less expensive than a new pickup if they need changing, and if you do upgrade the pickup, you will be getting these controls anyway.

16. Artec makes a very nice sounding P pickup for very little money. Not sure about white covers though.

17. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Before you replace the white pickup covers, ask a woman what she thinks. My guess, based on experience, will be that the answer will be, approximately, "Are you kidding me? White, definitely," accompanied by a "What an imbecile!" look.

That's a stab in the dark. I'm hopeless at figuring out what goes with what, according to women I know.

Engle and DanAdams like this.
  18. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Nice find! Pickup covers match the dots
    but you could always hit ‘em with 600 grit soak ‘em overnight in a cup of coffee

Attached Files:

bobcruz, covermego and roller like this.
  19. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    OK Nixdad. I'll stick with white for now
    I messed around with 250k vs 500k on a different setup, and preferred the 500k
    this bass does have 500k pots, the cap's markings just says 473k 100 A
    I tend to run tone all up and roll off highs on an amp or DAW, so I don;t think the cap really matters for me.
    The mixing engineer lurking inside me likes to roll of the highs latter in the signal flow to reduce noise.
    NICE, You're speaking my DIY language. If I try to darken them, I'll definitely try this. The aftermarket covers mostly look a bit too yellow anyway.

nixdad and C Stone like this.
  20. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Judging from some of the posts above, the assumption seems to be that this is a "cheap bass." For OP's purchase price it is. But we have no idea what this bass cost new. It could fall into the Electra/Greco/Tokai category of well-made seventies copies.