My 3D Jazz Bass Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 21, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hey all-

I've been playing around with Blender (a free, open source 3D modeling program) for a few weeks, and decided that a good use of this sweet program would be a mock-up for various bass finishes/pickguards.

This is the Jazz bass model I've got done - it's nowhere near what some people are able to do with this program, but keep in mind I'm new at this. I've got a few combos linked up below. You'll notice they all have J-Retros. That's because it's hard to model regular J-Bass knobs. :D

The colors are close approximations to standard Fender colors.

Let me know what you think!

edit: The kind wavy line on the left side of the body is a reflection of the edge of the wall that I put up in the background.

Inca Silver/Silver Blue Pearloid Pickguard

Sherwood Green/White Pearloid Pickguard

Vintage Blonde/Tortoise Pickguard

"Starry Night" by Van Gogh
  2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I love the Starry Night bass! Awesome stuff.

Edit: You wouldn't happen to have a link to this program would you? :cool:
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow nice..can you send me a private with the Freeware link? please.
  4. +1
  5. wow thats awesome! You should make as many color combos as possible and start a website. Do think you could put together a precision model?
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words so far, everyone. A P-Bass can be done, I just need the time to morph this into that, as it were. :D I wouldn't even know how to set up a website, but if you have any requests, let me know and I can mock them up. Photobucket lets me direct link for free, which is nice. :D
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    That's pretty sweet, you should look into exporting it (I don't know how) into one of those online 3d viewer things so that people could look at it from every angle. Add a way of choosing your finish, sell it to fender and get rich!
  8. well since you asked...

Red w/ black gaurd
    Black w/ tort gaurd
    pink w/ pink & black zebra stripes :ninja:

It would also be awesome if there was a program that let you pick whatever colors you wanted and had tons of body shapes. Any programmers out there?
  9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I dig, you should try a CB shape next! :p
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    you can made a high quality wallpapers about basses in 3D.
  11. Cherry red w/ white pickguard.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I know good and well what these look like, but my personal favorites (in this order) are:

Lake Placid Blue w/White Pearloid PG
    White w/Black Pearloid PG
    Natural Ash w/Black PG
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    And awaaay we go

Peavey has had that kind of option on their website before. On the old one, you could only make pencil-type sketches of their various guitars, and on the new one, they only let you build Cirruses. (Cirri.)

I suggested such a feature to the good people at Warmoth. They told me that they had considered it as an option, but it's apparantly quite expensive to have someone build/maintain such a feature.
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yeah, once I get a better background set up, fix the lighting, and change the angle to something more... dramatic, I'll post up some wallpapers at various resolutions.

I'll do some more renders later this evening... I gots to eat food and actually play the bass, as opposed to just making them on a 'puter. ;)
  15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If Fender gave a factory option of any colour with any pickguard on any model just imagine all the UGLY basses we'd see..MMM, a nice Sunburst with a pearloid blue pickguard, Yummy!!
  16. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Well, I found the program, and downloaded it. It's, to say the least, a bit over my head. Looks like I will be playing with it all night trying to figure a few things out. Would it be possible for you to send that J Bass file through email so that I could play around with it and maybe learn something? If you would be so kind, the email is
  17. Could you possibly make that two e-mails? :rolleyes: My address is, thanks man.
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sorry, I just looked back up in the thread and saw that I missed your request for a link to the program. For those interested, go here. (You want version 2.37a)

I'll email a .blend file (the project) with the body and the pickguard to interested parties. You'll have to figure out the rest yourself. ;) The rest of the work was really easy, just simple shapes manipulated to different sizes/proportions.

There are ton of tutorials located here. Once you learn the basics of the interface and a few simple commands like extrude and duplicate, you're well on your way. :cool:
  19. How about:

-Sherwood Green with Black p/g, maple fretboard and black blocks and binding.
    -Candy Apple Red with tort pickguard, maple fretboard and black blocks and binding.
    -Dark blue, black pickguard, maple fretboard and black blocks and binding.

I like blocks and binding. ;)
  20. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thanks for the link.

I deleted my 3D Studio Max a while ago.. I might just start modelling again..