Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 4 year old sings in harmony?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Nov 26, 2002.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OK. I got a big shock today. My 4 year old son, Wife and I are riding in the truck with the radio/CD playing as normal. My son is singing along (as he usually does) and he asks my Wife or me to sing with him. My wife starts to sing the song with him and when the song gets to the chorus my kid jumps up to the harmony part!!! And he did it every time the chorus came around. :eek: :)

Now he's heard me do this to songs a thousand times (I regularly sing harmonies that are not even there because its good practice for the ear). Could he have actually caught on to what I've been doing?

Anybody else with similar age kids have this (or something like it) happen? He is my only child so I don't know how common this might be at this age.

And here I thought he was just going to be a bass player.:p
    [​IMG]

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Dude your gonna crush your poor kid if that thing stays on him much longer! :p

Mabye because his voice hasnt broken, he can sing that high. Heck, my voice has broken and i can sometimes sing that high! My little cousin does it aswell, its kinda freaky, but you get used to it :D

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    wow pb.. thats awesome =D
    a next brian wilson or something??
    wow. cool stuff.. I used to.. well dress up as zoro and ride my golden retrever "flash" around the house(we named him after the dog on the dukes of hazzard).. i started playing drums at 6..i got a snair drum when i was 4... cool stuff though man! =D

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What ever it is, I think he has a good place to start either.

Thumbs up for you and your kid, give him something musical to play with but don't force it! :)

5. :confused:
    you don't have to sing high to do harmony parts.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    A bit of trivia here, did you guys know that during 1700s in Europe, there were male singers whose register was around soprano, eg. what high female vocals are. They performed a lot of female parts in operas and ironically became a sort of sex objects.

How this was accomplished was quite cruel. The kids who had been training since they were few years old, were castrated(eg. had their testicles were cut off) around the age of 12, which prevented their voice becoming low and manly over puberty.

The most famous of them was man called Farinelli, there's a movie about him too..

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats awesome man!

You'd be suprised at how bad some people are at creating melodies. Its great that your kid has a natrual musical gift.

You know whats really greta about this?

Since he's gonna be a singer, he's not gonna need that SB-2 and you can ship it over here.;)

Peace
    Nick

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's great, being able to sing harmonies at that age! Encourage him!

Yeah, they're called Castrati (sp?). Y'know, if they had there balls removed before puberty, I guess that means not only their voice doesn't break, they don't grow any hair either, facial or pubic, or otherwise... and they don't get all those hormones and turn into wining ****s when they become teenagers? :) And presumably, with a lack of testosterone, they don't have much interest in girls either?

Anyhow, imagine speaking to a fully grown man with a kids voice... how wierd would that be...

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    He does. I bought him this awhile ago.
    [​IMG]
    He likes to play with my keyboard also.

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I got that SB2 in a trade deal and sold it. He takes an interest so I try to get pix of him with every bass that comes through.

Heres another:
    [​IMG]

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This is my old avatar. He was 2 when this was taken:
    [​IMG]

13. I think it's cool that a 4 x 12 half stack is really a FULL stack when you're that size!!

Rock On little dude! :cool:

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    apparently thats how justin timberlake got started. i know i know bad example but still. rock on lil bit

15. thats so cool he can do that, relaly impressive, i've never heard a kid so young do it, and i work in the ater so i work with ALOt of young aspiring actors and singers. and wow, hes so adorable also! awww!!
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

16. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    just dont be mad when he grows up to be a hairdresser or a "drama workshop" volunteer. :p

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    He's so small they just look like 12s (they're 10s). ;)

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey. Just as long as he makes that kind of $$$. His old man has G.A.S. y'know.:p

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not too worried about it. He's already in love with the neighbor girl (she's 6).:)

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Last one:

Practicing his 6 string slap technique :D :
    [​IMG]