Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My '40 Kay M-1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ksdaddy, Sep 5, 2004.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I put a photo and story of my '40 M-1 on my site:

1940 Kay M-1

2. I like it. great story too. you even did it yourself. Patience and care and the bass is better than new.
    Benton

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think i saw that bass on ebay....

4. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    To my knowledge it wasn't on ebay, but they may have tried, they had it quite a while. They do sell on ebay, but I wouldn't deal with them. I've seen a few of their auctions and when a vintage piece is offered, the auction is usually fraught with errors. I've known about them ever since they had an old storefront/jam room in '76, and looked like escapees from a Manson commune. We did buy a new Yamaha FG-200 at that time for $230, probably the only honest deal we've ever done with them.

To give you an example of their sales tactics, in the early 80s my father had a '73 J-200 he didn't like, and they offered him $650 cash and a 17" jumbo Yamaha over the phone. We drove the 200 miles to close the deal, and then they claimed we misrepresented the J200, it was a '77 and worth less. He pointed out, quite convincingly to most people, that the serial number stared with A follwed by 6 digits, one being 7, meaning it was made in January '77. My jaw dropped, I couldn't believe they would think we were that stupid. I pointed out that Gibson used an A prefix with 6 digits only in '73. They may have used that configuration at some other time in their history, but not anywhere close to the 70s. He stammered and stated that, well, maybe you're right about THAT, but it's STILL a '73, and if it were a '72 it would have a rosewood body, not maple. I laughed in his face and told him that they hadn't made rosewood J200s since about 1939, closed the case and walked out.

It's a variation on the old bait and switch. Yes, Gibson has made rosewood J200s since then, but nothing in the 70s for sure.

I definitely didn't STEAL the M-1, but I feel better not giving in to the full $$. And I'm still betting the owner's family didn't get their full cut.

When I picked the bass up, I showed their local rep a 1950 Conn 28M sax I had, and he called the main office, and they offered me $1500 for it. I can just see how THAT scenario would play out if I took the bait. It's not for sale, I just wanted them to look it over (I bought it at a yard sale for $25).