1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my 400+ smells like a toaster....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by calebbarton, Apr 11, 2009.

1. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    anyone besides me ever have problems with their 400+ like this?

every once in a while mine will start to heat up and smell really bad then i loose output. i shut it off for a second and turn it back on and its fine agan and sounds normal.

i was thinking tubes or maybe the tube plugs are bad......but im not sure.

anyone?

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    So you smell burning and the amp stops making noise, but you continue to play with it on a regular basis?

I'd say its tech time, sounds like you either have a loose connection somewhere that is melting stuff, or you've got something overheating to the point that it smells like a toaster.

3. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    Doesn't that mean your amp is going to have a stroke?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    rye or wheat?

5. basses5

basses5

Oct 31, 2002
    Wichita,KS
    My Mesa 400+ has done that twice both times during a gig and blew the fuse both times.
    Needless to say a trip to the tech is in order. Still wish we knew what causes this to happen. I am using a Markbass LMK II as a substitute for now.

6. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Mmmmm, tube toasted bread.

7. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Does it have the big slots for bagels and english muffins?

8. The only thing waiting is going to accomplish is more damage as something else starts smoking. Quicker you get it into the shop, the cheaper the repair is going to be.

Randy

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm on day 9 of a 10 day lemonade cleanse-no food at all. i tuned into talkbass because everytime I turn on the TV there is an ad about burgers & pizza & ice cream - now I'm craving toast. Sorry I can't help with your Mesa problem, but Happy Easter anyway!