1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My $5 bass guitar pickup & restore!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WheatThin, Oct 11, 2017.

1. WheatThin

WheatThin

Oct 11, 2017

what is up guys... I have played guitar / mandolin/ banjo for years... always wanted a bass. Found one for 5 bucks at a yard sale and YouTubed the transformation. Check it out if your bored... sorry for the 6 string guitar pickup I installed in advance! ... but still sounds sexy! Makes it that much more unique to me.

Excited, finally learning bass now after years of playing!

Thanks for taking the time to view this!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I saw your video last month. Neat restoration! :thumbsup:

One thing…and this is more of an observation, not criticism…you string your bass as if it were a six-stringer. So, if I may offer up an alternate means for stringing your newest project…

…specifically, at the 3:00 mark. The part about having enough downward wraps is crucially important. I've had A-strings with an insufficient number of wraps get frustratingly "buzzy" and ultimately had to be thrown out. My personal rule is that when cutting strings it's always better to be left with too much string (correctable) versus too little string (not correctable).

There is one teensy way my technique differs from John Carruthers regarding the initial string bend. I push the tip of the cut string down as deep as the post allows, then bend it backwards (through the slot and away from the nut), then start the downward wrap. This give the string it's necessary bend, while giving it as deep an anchor inside the post as possible. ;)