1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 5 string Cocobolo Bass project - Finale..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Florida Jim, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Florida Jim

Florida Jim

May 9, 2008
    Well, it's finished. I've been working on it part time for 11 months. The original thread is here - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433347
    The first photos were posted on AOL, and they stopped hosting photos, so they went away. But some are there. Anyway, I've got six pics to show, and here they are;

Attached Files:

2. Florida Jim

Florida Jim

May 9, 2008
    The body is made from one 6" X 2" X 8' plank of Panama Cocobolo. So, it's sort of a neck-through design, the "wings" being made of the same wood. I did all the pearl inlay in figured mother of pearl and paua abalone, and the binding is curly Koa wood. The nut is a solid piece of mother of pearl.

Attached Files:

3. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    D@@@@@@@@@@@@@@MN!!!!!

4. Florida Jim

Florida Jim

May 9, 2008
    I used Bartolini soapbar pickups, and a Bartolini preamp. Also, it has a hipshot bridge, and a premium madagascar ebony fingerboard with stainless steel frets in a 35" scale. Everyone was warning me how heavy this thing would be, it weighs 14 lbs. It's not a problem for me, I just need a wide strap. So, how does it sound? It's the punchyest bass I've ever had my hands on, with what seems like infinite sustain. The E and B strings sound like ones on a grand piano. As predicted, the dust from the Cocobolo made me break out in a rash, so I had to be completely covered up head to toe, and use a carbon filter mask when I was sanding it. It's finished with Tru-oil. It was also predicted that Tru-oil would not cure on this wood, but this did. Maybe it's the Florida sun that made it dry, but it's hard and fine. So what's next on my list of basses to build? A headless, "bodyless" 5 string made from a single plank of figured Bubinga, of course! I'll make this new thread as I get farther into it. Later! JT

Attached Files:

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Very nice. :)

6. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I like that bass SO much that I am starting to hate you....:D

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow, that's some inlay!

Am I right in thinking that on the body you have an inset roundover, with shell and maybe bubinga binding making up a ledge "below" the roundover?

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    This thing is really cool; surprised this escaped my attention all this time. Nice job, Florida Jim.

9. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Nice job. Kudos, man!

10. Well, that turned out very nice indeed! Lots of time and effort in that purfling, very well done.

Bubinga next?!?! What's after that, granite? :D