1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 5-string journey and a pickup question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BiigM, Oct 5, 2008.

1. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Hi all.

Many years ago, when i had played around 3 years i got my first 5-string. I love 5-string, seames to me to be a natural extension of the bas. 6 does nothing for me. I´ve had several 5's since then. Started on a Tune :)rollno:) and had 3 celinders. None did the trick for me.

Now I have Fender customshop jazz 5 string. The normal one. Not the reggie Hamilton sig.
    It's equipped with fenders noiseless pickups.

I am definately a Fender guy. My main basses is a relic jazz, with roundwounds and a 74 precision with flats. Both are fantastic instruments.

I love the the sound of my 5-string when im at home over my studio monitors. But when i gig with it, it doesn't sound as solid, and doesn't cut through as well as my relic.

Now i'm wondering if i should maybe try to change the pups to some normal singlecoils. I've never been a pickup changing kind of guy so i don't have a ot of experience in that field.

But wouldn't it give me a tone more like the relic?

I was thinking about these: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/sj56770_sj57074/

But i don't know if they wil fit. Plus i don't know if it's possible with the electronics in the bass. Other suggestions would be great!

I was actually thinkin of giving a sadowsky metro rv5 a spin. But from what i read i might have the same problems with those unless i get singlecoils in it.

Sorry for the confusing writing. English is not my first language :)

All help will be appreciated :)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would look at how i'm eq'ing my bass live if I where you, live situations are alway's different than home and studio. I have a CS jazz with the same pups and it sings in a live situation. I uasually record my gigs when possible to hear my basses and my rigs in live situations and my CS jazz is phenominal! What you hear on stage is not what the audience hears out ther and you must take that into consideration. There have been many times I thought my sound was not to my likeing but after I watch the video I must say there is a difference. Hope this helps.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I would put a set of Nordstrand single coils in it.

4. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    You have experience with those? :)

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I find it hard to believe Fender would make such a bass as the Custom Shop and it would need help cutting through a mix! Changing the pups will only change the sound and not always for the better! I find that people who go through so many Basses don't take the time to learn the nuances of what's in their hands thus they blame the instrument for their shortcomings. I have 11 different Fender's from MIM's to Custom shop basses and they all without question cut through the mix!. Btw this is not to blast anyone it's just my findings.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Another question is what amp (cab setup) and how many watts are you using?

7. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Well pyrohr.

I've been playing bass for 20 years now. I'm a pro, played on several high profile cd's and played all the big festivals in Denmark, wher i live.
    This is not to toot my own horn. Just to let you know i'm not some rookie. And to tell you i don't change instruments like i change underwear. My relic has been my main bass for 10 years, replacing a 76 jazz that was my first bass.

I know good tone when i hear it. I just need your inputs to see if i can get that tone from my Fender V :)

I tried alot of different eq settings. IMHO the sound should be close without any eq. That's how it is with my other basses. A tad bassbost and thats it

I play Aguilar gear. DB 750, gs 212 and gs210

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I do not. I have experience with the Nordstrand NP4 which I really like a lot.

I consider myself a Fender guy as you describe yourself. I have an RV5 which I really like. Although I have at times I have considered going true single coil. The Fenders I have played with Noiseless Js have seemed a little different. If I was having questions about a Fender with Noiselss Js, that would be the first place I would start or possibly the Fender preamp which I have never cared for in the music store setting.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Well i'm glad to hear you got 20 years experience, I have 37:)! obviously the change of bass thing did not apply to you so there was no need to address it! you are playing with excellent equipment (which was unknown to us before I asked) so that's not the problem. I never called or insinuated that you were a rookie and if you took it that way I deeply apologize! I tried to state the obvious with the small amount of info given. Again if your were offended I apologize!

10. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Not offended :)

Just putting up the info that obviously was missing.

No worries

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    :)

12. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Anyone agree with DavePlaysBass?
    Some more opinions would be great before messing with a bass that cost big bucks :)