my 5 strng whats a good rule?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ampegloud, Oct 14, 2002.

1. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    getting a 5 string thur.any rules of thumb on playing? played a 4 for 8 years.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Probably more of a Technique thread.

3. Well I started playing 5's about 5 years ago after a 5 yr hiatus form playing bass. I would run the cycle of fourths/fifths over your neck, above and below the 12th fret to get used to it. Just don't over do the low B string.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not a "rule," just something I found that works for me;

I anchor my thumb against the B. As pedulla says, you don't want to overdo it and anchoring there helps to serve as a reminder.

But more importantly, for me anyway, it eliminates the crosstalk of the B because my technique makes it resonate a lot if I leave it free to do so.......just in case you find the same thing.
  5. I switched from a four string to a fiver about two and a half months ago. I was really concerned that I might have difficulty adjusting, but caught on to it rather easily. The main adjustment I had to make was how I anchored my thumb. On the four, I always used the neck pickup as a thumb rest. When I started the five, I instinctively started in the same manner as the four, but immediately discoveverd that the reach across all five strings wasn't going to work very well. I now rest my thumb on the strings, primarily the "B" and "E" strings, backing my thumb off when I want to use the "B" and "E". The reach is less to the higher strings and my muting technique is much better. As far as holding back on the usage of the "B" string, I find that I frequently use the "D" on the Low-B, but use the C# and lower only occasionally. I have not regretted changing to a five.
  6. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    thanks for the input,the bass i bought is a ibenez sr405 ,,i know its not top quality but its a start ,my other bass is a warwick active , top of the line 4 string im lokking forword to playing it,,what kind of strings should i replace on it cause factory strings are not that good?
  7. I play an Ibanez BTB405 and I too chose to try something other than what came with the bass. I've used D'Addario chrome flatwound and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats and find them both to be good strings. The Thomastik flats have a lower string tension than the D'Addarios and I find the low-B on the TI's to be a little tighter sound than the "B" on the DA's. After trying both, I've left the TI's on my bass and am quite pleased. The Thomastik strings are said to be for a 34" scale length and the BTB405 is a 35". The TI strings do work on the BTB, however the "B" string by only a 1/4" to spare.
  8. I've been playing 5-string for about 2 years now, and I found it an easy transition from the 4. My first 5-string was a Guild Pilot - and I found that the string spacing up by the nut was WAY too wide. Now I play a Fernandes, and I really like the narrow spacing by the nut and the wide spacing at the bridge.

Like "KeiBau", I especially use the low-D a lot for songs with D notes in them. It sounds SO much warmer than the next one up! Listen to Jewel - Standing Still and you hear that low-D all the time. Also you'll hear it a lot on the new Dave Matthew's CD.

Also, for songs with a F, Eb transition, I play that on the low-B string, too. Example - the chorus on Walking on Sunshine.

Recently I started playing higher up on the neck and incorporating the low-B string into a LOT of songs. I find it is easier to play up there, especially when the song has a lot of first-fret notes in it - move them down one string and up 5 frets. Examples - Sublime - Santaria, BTO - Takin' Care of Business.

Use notes lower than low-D sparingly and for a dramatic effect. I especially use low-C and low-B for the ending notes of songs on those keys. Examples: Jewel - Standing Still, No Doubt - Just a Girl, BTO - Takin' Care of Business. Also, for a special effect on repeated chorus's - play it normally the first time, then with the lower notes the second time thru, or especially on the last chorus. Example: Spencer Davis - Gimme Some Lovin' - play the G-Bb-C-Eb going up the first time, and then use low-C and low-Eb the next time for effect.

For songs with a synchopated low-E in them, it's much easier to play it on the 5th fret of the low-B string - you have much more control over the length of the notes that way.

The main thing is to incorporate that low-B string into your riffs just like it was one of the other 4 strings - don't be afraid to use it when the note you need is right there (especially when you are playing above the 5th fret anyway). Play some 2-octave scales so you know where all of the notes are!

9. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    The Fear of 5

" A purchase receipt for a 5-string is not
    a license to play everything you know
    transposed to the key of B"
    Roscoe Beck

I think this is a reminder for all of us fivers!!!

warwicks all the way