My 6 string adventure begins.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frost13, Aug 3, 2000.

1. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I came across a neck-thru 6 string with active electronics.....and a neck that I can a "Hellofadeal" price. So, I bought it and now my 6 string adventure begins.
    So far.....I find it much easier to play than I imagined....and pleasantly surprised at how my creativity seems to have opened up with it.
    I would be interested in hearing about others "6 string' adventures.
    Who knows.....will I eventually enter "John Turner Territory"????.... [​IMG]
  2. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I believe that a two octave( at least )6 or 7 string bass is the most complete instrument around. I've found that I can do everything on a 6 or 7 that I could do on a 4, with a bit more practice. In fact, when I play my 4 I feel limited. Playing a 6 has vastly improved my soloing and creative approach to playing.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The ONLY drawback I found to 6-string is that I try to play too busily, simly BECAUSE I can reach so much stuff. That's why Tony Levin got a 3-string...

But I'm NEVER going back to 4.

4. my neglectable experience with six string:

first six ever had (around 1989) was my Yamaha TRB6P; excellent bass and wide open "motorway" fretboard. Not a problem for me, despite my little hand. Started playing 6, I thought "I'll never go back", too, and was convinced for quite a while. After almost two years I realized that:
    1) you start to play too much 2) there are really few occasions you're called to play higher notes, unless you start unnecessary going fast and wild 3) I even started to play octaves a la' Wes and, if on one side this is "sparklin'", on the other hand the music tends to suffer. 4) in addition, attempts with a high C on a fretless prototype showed a "wimp" sound on the tiny C string.

Conclusion: the six is a specific tool, as it is the five, as it is the four. There's not a "better" one among them 3 and anyone of us will grow up with the bass he chooses. You will switch on the need, too. Six? Is it fine for you? Go for it enjoy and make good use of it! I stick around on five for the 85% of time, now. The low notes are really useful, fingering changes for better, while the higher notes I do not really use much anymore. 5 seems to me a more "human" axe, dimensions wise and "touch" wise, while, btw, the comfort you have on the 4 is just unbeatable.
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    6 strings are sweet check out a yamaha john myung but im jumping from a 5 to a 7 string bass woohooo i cant wait what kind did u get?
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I just got a Peavey Cirrus 6 string a few days ago. I tried the Conklin 7, the Yamaha TRB and John Myung 6's, as well as a $2700 Ken Smith Bolt-on and a custom Dolan, and the Peavey was the best choice for me. I think hearing the incredible artistry of Oteil Burbridge was what turned me on to the possibilities of the 6. I've been hearing more melodic and chordal ideas in my head so the extended range makes sense. I've also just started working in a project where I'm expected to do more than just pump out the roots, so I hope the 6 will help me bust out with some crazy flash. I actually like having strings closer than on a four string; for plectrum, tapping, and chordal work it's a positive boon. The wider neck and 35" scale will take some getting used to, though. I think if I can find a really nice fretless 34" scale 5 with a tight low B I'll be all set.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I played a Peavey Cirrus fretless 5 (Maple) today and was extremely impressed. Actually thought about buying it.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im still thinking about buying a 6. I need a backup fretted 5 (or something with at least 5 strings), and i think i might just go and buy a 6, for the heck of it. Its easy for me to find a 5 i like, but a 6 is a touchy issue. Some are awesome, some suck. I wonder if ill ever use the high C though! It sure does make some high walking lines simpler...but i almost never, if ever, use them. The chordal possibilities is really the only thing that i would use it for. But i do have to agree wih avezzano...cant beat the comfort of a 4. But i realize i do need a backup bass with a im stuck with a 5 or 6. Dont think ill be buying soon though! Unless i sell my other two...which i might have to do...seeing as i have no money, and ol' daddy wont buy it! Oh well. I never use the fretless in my music, and its possessed.

Hey Frost, whatd you get? Post a pic!
  9. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    How about that. I guess that salesman wasn't lying to me. I was looking for a 6 string and one guy I called said the only 6 he had was a Peavey Cirrus. He went on to talk about what a great bass it was and how much higher it could be priced. It was still well out of my price range, though. For some reason I didn't trust that store. I think I was in there once or twice 7 years ago and they didn't seem friendly. A bit of a grudge, I guess. ;) Oh well, it's forgotten now. :)

So today I bought an Ibanez SR406 on sale. I really like it, but it will probably take some time to get used to the added weight of the neck.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Peavey has a world class 6 for less than $1300.
  11. Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    Good job to all you 6 stringers...I have enough trouble with 4...though I am concidering a 5.
  12. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I had played a 5 string many times, but when I decided to finally purchase one....I opted for a six string. I figured the C string would come into play more often than the B sring...and so far, I have been right.
    IIf anyone is thinking about a 5....I would definitely recommend trying out a 6. You might be pleasantly surprised....:)
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a 6, and had the opposite experience you have had, frost.. It was a lot of fun and I caught on really quickly, but the only time the high C came into play very much was in the bedroom at home.. just too wimpy sounding in a band setting..

So now I rarely play my 6 except for fun. What little bit of chords and double stops I play work fine on the 5 string.

Of course, being a bassplayer, I will change my mind again ;)

I want to get a Conklin GT7 and change out the nut for the F#BEADGC tuning, I think that the extra low string would be VERY useful, especially up the neck. And that would give me the flexibility of 3 and 4 note chords without mud.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    conklin has a world class 7 for under $1000 (at

(your turn :D)

15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I find the Cort Artisan 6 really useful in the studio, less so on gigs. The high C really doesn't cut through very well and the low B is the same as what I get on my 5's, which I dig much more (Stingray 5 and G&L 2500).
  16. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I think of the having the right tool for the right job. It's great for playing MY original music. But on a blues gig...the 4 string would be all I would really need.
  17. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Nope.....I played some blues tonight and tried to get by with my 4 string. It just didn't "feel" right, so I switched to the 6 string....and played some pretty tastey stuff...if I say so myself....:)
    Looks like I have become a 6 stringer for sure now!
  18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I think the GT7 is a very nice bass for the money but I don't think it really compares to the Cirrus, even with the extra string. The ones I've played are on par with most $2K and up basses.

19. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    I think you wanna Cirrus, I think you wanna Cirrus, I think you wanna cirrus.
  20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Gonna have to weigh in on Brad's side on this one. I've played the Conklins (both the GT's and the "real" ones), and really liked them, BUT if I were going out to buy a new 6(+) string bass today, it'd be a Cirrus. Best bang-for-buck bass I've played yet. I'm also very impressed with the Peavey G's I've played, and am looking forward to finding and getting my fingerprints all over a Millennium (sp?) once I find one. This ain't your father's Peavey (applies to amplification too :D)