1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 6 string design (You copy it, I'll sue you!)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pc, Mar 12, 2009.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    A friend of mine will start a lutherie class in June and I won't waste the opportunity to build the bass of my dreams.

This is the main idea:

ricken6.

- 30" neck
    - 18mm string spacing @ bridge
    - 10mm @ the nut
    - Kent Armstrong pickups
    - OBP2 preamp

I measured the body proportions from a Veillette Single cut pic. I love that small body. I tried to make it single cut, as the Veillette is, but I couldn't find a good design keeping the original idea.

I also tried to emulate the original pickup positions, but the neck pickup is over the 21st fret, so I preferred the good old P sweetspot plus the J.

I still have to find a better solution on the head/tuners, but I still have about four months before start building.

Thanks to RLK on the tuner tips!

cheers

2. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Why so short(scale)?

3. That will be Bass Azz - what woods and colors or finishes do you have in mind?

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    "(You copy it, I'll sue you!)"

Yah, that's what Rickenbacker said.

5. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Man a 6 string Ric, good design.

6. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    I didn't like it when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. I have to question the scale length, but to each his own. Post pics when you're finished.

7. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    On the body, the treble side waist cut just needs a bit of refinement. It's a bit too deep and severe. Just needs to flatten out a shade prior to transitioning into the lower horn. Otherwise the body looks good.

At 30" scale, can you get strings you like in that scale length, where all 6 strings sound good?

I'm thinking the B string will not sound great at 30".

The upper horn is nice and long - I don't think it would be neck heavy at that scale length. Maybe at 35" it would.

The guard may be white just for the purposes of depicting it in the design. I know the classic Ric look is a white guard, but I'm always in favor of doing something other than white with a Ric guard, just for the sake of broadening the spectrum.

(Some people that swear they hate Rics but can't really explain exactly why in clear terms - it's the white pickguard that bugs them).

Are you going to start the project before Mr. Hall sends you an official Ric truss rod cover?

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One word of warning: my 6 string Ibanez has a tiny body like that, and it has pretty heavy neck dive. I had to get a new leather strap to fight it. Just so you know.

9. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yes, that does resemble a bastardized Ric :meh:

10. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    That will be unbelievably BEAST.

11. Resemble??? lol ;)

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd definitely go with at least 34" scale, personally, if not 35". We want build pics!

13. Slightly.:smug:

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, pretty sure the OP was making a direct Ric reference in the thread title. :p Good one, too, made me look!

I like it a lot. If it was mine I'd change half a dozen things, but obviously it's not mine. However if your friend can learn how to do fanned frets, then I think this would be an ideal candidate for fanned frets. Maybe 34" at the low string and 31" at the high string. I agree with the others that a 30" low B is asking for disappointment, which you would not want with such a potentially awesome bass.

15. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    LMAO...:D

16. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Hey guys, what are you insinuating? This is a 100% original design! You'll hear from my lawyer! :spit:

:D

Anyway, I decided on a 30" neck because I always loved to play all short scales (Danos, Hofners, and a few customs). I even bougth one to made it fretless. And also because of this. You can see it has a very articulate low B

I don't see a problem with strings. I love low tension ones. I played years with TI Jazz Rounds on my main 6er With 30" I'll go medium strings to get the approximate results

I'm planning to do exactly as shown, probably minus the inlays, due to the lack of skills. But I intend to do a white binding around the body

I'm working on a 34" version too. I'm adjusting a couple of things to fit it on the scale and will check the treble side too. It's not yet the way I like

I don't think the neck will dive. As I said, it was designed over a Veillette single cut picture. I never played a Veillette, but I don't think its neck is heavy. Ok, It has a HUGE wooden bridge, but mine's upper horn goes up to 11th fret

I'm thinking about "inlaying" the pickguard, as it's done with cover plates. Not decided yet

bongomania, share your thoughts. I'm open to new ideas, although I'm not mutch into fanned frets.

cheers

17. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Ok, here's the 34 version side by side with the original 30"

ricken6-30-34.

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Hey pc, that looks close to one of TZer's designs......;):bag:

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh, I just mostly meant things that would suit my tastes rather than yours, not things that would improve the bass for your tastes.

If it was mine, I'd do the following:

-Either 34" scale or fanned 35" to 32"
    -move both pickups closer to the neck (I don't like the sound of a pup right by the bridge)... and/or
    -move the bridge pieces to the very back edge of the body, and consequently
    -lose frets 23 and 24. Maybe even 22. I would never use them.
    -five strings, not six.

That would make me rock out with my clock out.

20. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

Hehehe... His basses have a more classic body shape, but I think I would be the first to go to court :ninja:

I thought about these two possibilities.

I was trying to put the bridge pickup closer to the neck so I could come closer to MM sweetspot with inner coil pickups, but it messed too much with the bass harmony (unless I take off the pickguard)

And regarding the bridge, I tried to bring it near the bass's butt, but I'm not shure how it would balance. The bridge is in the same position as the Veillette