Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My '64 Jazz vs. Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, Apr 27, 2005.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi,

I own a '64 Jazz Bass but I'm very curious on Sadowsky basses. I think Will Lee's tone on letterman is awesome. I play on a SVT-AV Amplifier w/ Ampeg 410 and 210HE cabs.

Can anyone tell me about his sound on letterman (I know it's mixed for tv, but still...), and maybe someone has audiosamples on Sadowsky basses?

Greetings from Norway,
    Hoel

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Heol..

Have you tried a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp with your Jazz? It does wonders for jazz basses, as you can favor the bridge pickup on the bass, and then boost the bass control on the pickup. The sound is really nice. Fattens it up beautifully.

I would hang on to the 64 before considering it to exchange for a Sadowsky. You can probably get really close to the Sadowsky sound using the preamp, which Roger designed expressly for vintage jazz basses that owners didn't want to rout out their basses to install a preamp. I have two of his pre amps, the older belt clip and the floor pedal. Aguilar makes a similar device that I have heard takes it a step further.

3. +1 Keep your 64!!!!! Use the Sad. DI/Pre pedal, it does wonders for my 66 J-bass, and then get yourself a Sadowsky Metro for that up-to-date J-bass vibe. You'll regret selling your vintage bass. :bassist:

4. What about if you've got a classic 60's (recent MIM)?
    Do you think slapping on a sadowsky preamp would get me a nice sound out of it? but still keep my current vibe (like if i wanted to add a active/passive mini-switch)

5. Try the Sadowsky di/pre pedal. I've used that pedal for so many gigs, as a stand alone DI, preamp right into a power amp, stompbox, etc...it's really versitile and it doesn't require any mods to your bass.

6. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Very interesting, thanks for answering guys.

First of all, I was never gonna sell my '64, I just wonder how it compares.

Second, What is this DI/Preamp that Sadowsky makes called?

I saw a stunning version of Joss Stone's Chokin' Kind on an american talk-show once, the bassist had just the same gear as me, and an awesome sound. I'm pretty sure he had his cab mic'ed up (ampeg 8x10).

I guess this Sadowsky preamp is quite expensive...

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have been using these preamps for five years. It's a part of my signal chain. I have two Jazz basses, one a MIJ and the other a Levinson Blade. Both are wired Vol/Balanace/Tone. I keep the preamp volume up full, and control overall volume from one knob on my bass. I have the bass boosted to about 3 out of 10. I then balance the pickups favoring the bridge. You get that clear midrange from that pickup, but with the bottom end boosted, and the signal boosted by the preamp. The sound is just wonderful. And...if your bass growls now, wait until you hear what the preamp does for it.

You will fall in love with your basses all over again.

Works very well with Jazz basses. Does nothing for my Precision. It's aimed at that bridge pickup, rounding out the sound beautifully.

8. Go to www.sadowsky.com and check out the DI/Preamp pedal.
    You'll love it!!! I think the price is about $250.00 or so.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    They'll be more pricey in Europe.

I have the floor model on my pedal board that I am using all the time.

The belt clip model could to coaxed from my hands if there was an interesting trade offered. :D

Talk to me.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    oh yeah.

11. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    This is the recording I was talking about: www.texum.org/joss.mp3

What can you guys say about this bass-sound? How does he get it? Sounds quite compressed...

I appreciate if anyone can take the time to listen to it and tell me a little about it :)

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sadowskys do sound somewhat different from Fenders, especially those old fenders. I'm not sure it could be considered an "improvement" over a '60s Jazz, its just a slightly different sound. A little more defined and punchy, a little less complex in the highs. Never never sell that old jazz bass ... but you might actually like to have a Sadowsky (especially a Metro) to play out as your Fender gets older and older. A '64 Jazz is so valuable and precious that I think I'd feel better reserving it for the studio.

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yup, sounds like my Sadowsky. Fat, with definition. There is something about the upper mids on a sad that lets you pump the bass control up, but still have a defined sound, there's this "edge" to it that is not "harsh". I'd bet we're just hearing a direct track off one of Will's Sad 4s.

14. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    It's not Will Lee, and it's a standard Fender Jazz Bass w/ Ampeg SVT. But he might be using a preamp or something...

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hah! Well there you have it. Its a fairly basic bass sound, and a good one, which is what the sadowsky is all about ... but you can clearly get it from any number of basses.

Is it a vintage Fender or a more recent one?

16. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    It looks quite new, Fiesta Red w/ matching headstock.

This might be a standard bass sound, but it has something to it that I've never heard before from any Jazz Bass. It has enough bottom, but it's still defined, and has no scratching/clicking sounds (this might be that it's compressed and has alot of sound over it, but still). I like the sound I get from my Jazz Bass, but somedays it doesn't sound like I want too. It's not growling everyday. It might be my playing of course... My EQ is pretty much flat, w/ both mic's on full.

This recording is from when Joss Stone released her first CD soul sessions. A live performance from Conan O' Brien.

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Fat with deffinition is deffinently a description of the Sadowsky tone. Normally I'd say go with the pre, but theres is no way that 64 gets out of my house unless I have firearms and a Brinks truck. I'd suggeast you look for a used Metro or NYC preferably with the Alder/Rosewood combo you might want to switch the pickups out to Sadowsky single coils and add the VTC (vintage tone control) option. This will give you the ability to also get closer to that 60's passive sound too.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Quality and tone of a Sadowsky is impecibile , give the outboard preamp a try and if you like the depth get a Sadowsky bass loaded with alot more of it.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You know, I don't get a lot of scratching and clicking from jazz basses ... I think you might just need to mess with the EQ, strings, and touch. Shouldn't need a compressor to get that tone, just get the EQ dialed in and pluck evenly and smoothly. Make sure your fingernails are cropped, try turning off your tweeters, mess with turning down the tone control on the bass and turn up the bass and low mids at the amp.

You might also try using heavier strings and raising the action, or playing with a lighter touch.

I don't think a sadowsky preamp or bass would neccesarily move you closer to this sound, though the bass boost is really nice and wide band on them.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Actually for this tone he's looking for I'd stick with the humcancelling pickups. Smoooooooth.