My '65p needs frets. Is there someone in Nashville you guys can recommend?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Intune, May 24, 2005.

1. My first instinct is to send it to Mike Lull but I don't relish the thought of shipping it cross country. There are plenty of places that do setups around here and everyone talks like their guy can do it, no prob. Well, maybe the guy at Sam Ash IS that good and then again, maybe not. I want it done right the first time. Does anyone come to mind in the Nashville area? Thanks.
  2. Please, one at a time. :rolleyes: O.K. Into the flight case it goes. I guess with so many git players down here housing is at a premium. ;)

I want a great job done to this bass. I know of plenty of places around here where I hear "they did an ok job on it, I wish they would have fixed..."
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Patience is a virtue...
    Surely there should be enough good service people in Nashvile.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    With all the good stuff I've heard about Mike Lull and his work, I think I might be willing to ship it for something as serious as a refret.
  5. JMX, there are a ton of them that's what makes it so hard to pick out a great one. I want to avoid sending it away 'cause it's my use everyday bass. I want to see if I can "get in line" for the repairs & then take the bass to them when they are actually ready to begin work.

You're right, I should be more patient. But I have put this off for a long time & now the frets are so scalloped that I worry about the board. My piss-poor planing is no need for emergency action on someone elses part. :meh: Also I thought there would be a couple of them around here that folks think highly of. It's no biggee. I'll keep asking around & someone will come to the forefront.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If I were in Nashville, I'd take it to George Gruhn's place, and see who they recommend taking it to. If they have someone in house (I dunno if they do , or not), I'd imagine he was the bee's knees considering what goes through that place in a week....