my 7 string fretless SEI has arrived

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Feb 14, 2003.

1. It's here after 10 months. I picked up my new 7 string Sei fretless on Wednesday afternoon and gave it it's first practice last night. It is awsome.

First impressions are the build quality is perfect and so far I can see no build faults at all [not that I expected any]. When I plugged it in the first thing I noticed was the Mwahhh which was massive followed by loads of sustain. It is suprisingly light in weight and has no neck dive at all. The neck is really quick and very easy to move around on. I am still trying to get to grips with the huge range of sounds so it will probably be a few weeks before I really find out all that it can do.

First live playing this Sunday evening which should be fun.

To say I am pleased with it is an understatement, Martin Petersen has excelled himself, but I suppose I am a little biased.

Specs are

Sei flamboyant 7 string fretless
    34 inch scale
    Swamp ash body
    Buckeye burl facings on body and head
    Flamed maple and wenge neck
    Ebony board with black stained sycamore fretlines
    Bart G6's
    Schack 3 band 18v eq
    ABM individual bridges with Piezo's and a
    custom John East 2 band circuit
    LED's on side and on inlay in headstock
    Abalone fish inlay at bass of fretboard
    Inlay on back cover of 3000 year old bog oak!!
    Gold hardware
    Jack + XLR balanced DI socket [with thanks to Pete Stevens at Wal for letting me have one of his sockets put into this bass}

Pics will follow!!:D :bassist:[​IMG]
  2. next pic

front body

more to follow[​IMG]
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That is NICE man...I like that a whole lot. Congrats! :)
  4. BassSaxMan - Thanks

Headstock front[​IMG]
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    WOW....very, very, I mean very nice :D

So do I understand well? you have two different premps in there? on for the magnetics and one for the piezos?

Is it a mono or stereo output? are you able to blend the signals?

I saw you used ABM individual piezo bridges. Could you tell us how they sound alone with no magnetics on???

Peace, JP
  6. Next

arty shot[​IMG]

This one shows the Piezo's in the individual ABM bridges.

You are correct, there are two pre amps each with individual volume controls so you can dial in exactly how much you want.

First impressions are that the Piezo's are very very good but I want to tweak the pre amp for them a tiny bit to give a little more Hi and knock off a little of the Low's. Already when just using the mags full on and 30% Piezo's I get a very good doulbe bass sound but will refine it over the coming weeks.

Much fun will be had!!
  7. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    That's one hell of a bass...

Martin's work is absolutely outstanding. I plan to have me a Sei at some point in the (hopefully not too distant) future!

Have fun with that one!
  8. Matt, that is one sweet bass, congrats.

I especially like the black fretlines, those are slick.

9. Beautiful!

I would love to try one of those out.

10. Next

Poorer quality shot of the headstock inlay which is backlit by an LED.

Jeff, Geoff, - Thanks[​IMG]

Bigwan - I would recommend his basses to anyone especially if you have any ideas for options. Martin will advise you as to whats possible and do an excellent job.
  11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

Do you mean that piezo only are not souding too harsh? i'm building right now a Plume Singlecut bass, with a thick hollowbody and that will be loaded with piezo only pickups. I'm currently choosing the system I'll be installing so that's why I'm asking :D

I usually use ABM hardware and John East electronics so your bass is really interesting for me!

Could you have a sound sample made with piezo soloed? that would be GREAT !!

peace, JP
  12. last picture [poor quality]

side LED's[​IMG]
  13. JP

I have not found the Piezo's to be harsh so far, but I am still playing with it as a new toy and exploring the whole range of tones available, so it will probably be in a week or so that I might be more objective about the sound of them.

On first playing and hearing, the sound is very smooth with a nice balanced finger thump at the start of the note that you get with DB's which then swells and fades with good sustain.

Martin uses the John East as in his opinion it is the least harsh of the preamps for the Piezo's. As I mentioned in my earlier I will have to get into the back of the preamp soon to roll off a little of the Lows which should shape the sound more to my liking, which is with a tighter bass and more mid/treble. [Martin warned me that the level was set a bit towards the bass end and that I might need to alter it a bit. But I won't do this until I have used it for a while].

Unfortunately I do not know how to get a sound clip, that is the next challenge for me but it will not be for some time yet.

14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Matthew (sweet bass BTW) you can get a sound clip by a variety of methods.

If you have a portastudio or even a tape cassette recorder you can record a short piece then hook up the player to your soundcard.

Creative wave studio will record it as a wav or mp3. Check the size of the file. A 2/3 minute pice will be about 28 meg and an MP3 about 3 meg. Edit the file to about 2 meg. You should be able to e-mail the the file or even transfer it via messenger.

If you have a website you can upload it. Or you could blast it to CD and mail it.

Simplest option would be to make a cassette recording and mail it to JP.
  15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanls Matthew.
    Please keep me updated ;)

peace, JP
  16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    That's an amazing looking bass! :D

I saw it down at the Gallery when Martin was making it, looks fantastic now it's done. Only another 5 months or so until I get my buckeye single cutaway 5-string Sei...!

Russ :bassist:
  17. CS

Thanks for the info. and the kind words. I will see what I can do about the sound clip.