1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My '72 Jazz got Plek'd!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    My '72 Jazz was starting to show its years and I have had some fret buzzing issues past the 12th fret.

Also I like action as low as I can, but I was finding I was raising it in order to minimize the buzzing.

Than I found out there is a Plek machine here in South Florida! Located at Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter. Absolutely great people to deal with! Brought my baby in for them to look at....

Long story short, they put it on the Plek machine and let it do its thing. And some hand adjustments on the neck and WAM!!

My baby's back! Got the fret buzzing out and lowered the action to more of my liking.

So for all you South Florida players, I would recommend these guys in a heart beat if you need some TLC done on your bass(s). Well worth the 45 minute drive from my house!

Wolfe Guitars

The required photo!
    br_04_072211.

2. Interesting. But ive never heard of a plek machine? Can you explain it to me :)

3. BigOkie

BigOkie

Nov 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I just had my 1999 Carvin LB75 PLEK'd last week as well. Also had a new Hipshot 'A' bridge installed. I am very happy with the results.

A PLEK machine is a computerized device that measures all of the fret surfaces and levels them to within a ten-thousandth of an inch or some ridiculous amount. It also calculate neck twist, bow, etc and allows the luthier to adjust everything to the closest tolerances possible. It's not cheap--it cost me about $150 in Norman Oklahoma. It's worth it in my opinion.

4. I would PLEK my bass but it's way too expensive and a rather long drive.

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Check it out on YouTube. Wolf guitars actually has a video of theirs.

6. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Wow...that bass is way up there. Any worries of carpal tunnel? My right hand would fall off if I played like that for a few hours.

All Laklands Skylines, like my Duck Dunn, are PLEKed before they leave Chicago.

7. I don't care what anyone says "Plek'd" sounds dirty as hell :D.

8. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    I'm a pleckr, he's a pleckr, she's a pleckr, they're all pleckrs . . .

Wouldn't you like to be a pleckr too?

:bag:

9. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    that bass has some real MOJO going for it..

10. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Kinda off topic, but that actually is about where I where my bass also. It feels very similar to where the bass is when I play sitting down.

I could never figure out how guys played with their strap dragging the ground... my left wrist always felt like it was going to break and I lost all my technique.

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How is Wolfe Guitars as a shop? I might buy a used G*****r from them in the future.

12. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I've been playing it that way for as long as remember. I've actually seen guys who wear it higher! That height is the same as if I were sitting. I find it helps keep my right hand in the proper position when playing slap, also I can dig into the bass better.

13. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Seem to be pretty good as a shop. They have a ton of guitars there. But a bit slim pickings in regards to basses, which seem typical for a Mom and Pop type shop. They did have some nice G&L basses there.

14. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    $150 is not that much more than a good fret crown, polish & level + setup by a competent tech.

A cheaper job by an incompetent tech? I don't even want to think about it.

15. Kewl! I took my Streamer in last fall (Gravity Strings in St. Louis) thinking I needed a full crown n' dress. Fortunately they narrowed the problem down to 3-4 frets that were off. End result was $45 micro-level and crazy low action:) $150 is more than fair, though if the the whole neck needs a refurb. Nearest plek machine (for me..) is Joe Glaser in Nashville, and he starts at two bills for a plek and setup.

16. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Has anybody had a bass done at Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter, Florida?

The next nearest to me is Joe Glaser and he has a good reputation.

The most valuable info would be from someone who has had one done by Joe and also one done by Wolfe, and can say whether Wolfe is up to the same standard.

Something about letting a machine start carving on my bass is a bit unnerving.
    I know it's all done by a machine, but the operator's skill plays into it as well.

17. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Commercial User

Mar 6, 2013
    Master Luthier
    Do people ever read the actual OP post before writing a reply? How hard could it be?

The OP actually said in the first post that he got his bass Plek'd by Wolfe, in Jupiter. And highly recommended them.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I was at Fodera last week and they had a new neck getting "Plek-ed" in their machine.

The process definitely LOOKS really cool!

It does work though. Not magic, just a setup much more precise than a human could do.

I wouldn't pay $100+ to get any of my basses done, but for free, I would do all of them.

19. Wolfe Guitars is good people. Deal with them in confidence. They don't sell a lot of bass gear. Their niche is Heritage Guitars. You won't see more in one place other Thant the Heritage factory. That said, they know their stuff and are nice people. A rarity to find both these days.
    No affiliation. I just live about a mile away so I'm a loyal local customer.

20. +1. As soon as I raised my strap to match where it is when I sit to play, my playing instantly became more consistent. And my left wrist stopped hurting at long practices.