Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 78' Stingray project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Did some trading, and picked up B006637. A previous owner for some reason decided he would refinish the neck, refret it, and refinish the body. They did a decent job on the neck refin, and the frets, no complaints. The body however, is another story. All the pickguard holes were plugged and filled, and it was painted an ugly purple color, metallic prune I guess.

The guy I got it from was told it was originally a sunburst bass, but after stripping it, it was obvious it wasn't from the traces of white paint, and the big green mismatched plank of wood they decided to use in the middle of the body.

I decided after all of the refinishing that has been done, that this unfortunately isn't much of a collectors item. I went ahead and finished stripping it. Numerous hours of sanding, more sanding, and a few coats of casey birchwood tru-oil, we're done for now, until I decide to spend the money on a pro refin to it's original white finish.

My guard for it wont be here until the end of the week, so I sat my old sterling guard on it to show what it should look like. A great deal better than the purp, and good enough for a bar gig bass. I'm pretty pleased, what do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Six hours after the bass arrived at my door, mostly sanded and prepped. Still can't believe the ugly stripe!

[​IMG]

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    48 hours after arrival, she's done for now (exception of the proper pickguard)

[​IMG]

4. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    i was kind of digging the purple. Throw a white pearloid pickguard on it, it mighta looked sweet.
    -d

5. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm curious why you decided to go with a natural finish after discovering the green wood in the center of the bass? I can't tell from the pic...is that very apparent with the new finish?

Did you get a good deal on this bass? If you got a 78 Ray for a decent price- it would be worth the work to make it look good.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I finished it natural for two reasons. One, I am a bit on the broke side at the moment, and the total cost of the supplies to refinish was under $50, including a new pickguard.

Number two, it looks a great deal better than purple! :D

PS, I traded a Spector I had under $600 in even up swap for it.

Thanks for your reply!

Tim

7. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    oh...that's nice! You got a great deal then. Do you have any pics of the back of the bass? I'm interested in how it turned out with that hunka green in the middle. You should post another pic when you have the actual Stingray guard too! Good luck with this bass.

BTW...what did you use to strip off all that old lacquer??? Wasn't that a pain?

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The pickguard does cover up 90% of the green on the front, can only see behind the bridge, and about 1/4" on each sides of the neck from the front. On the back, the center piece isn't nearly as discolored. It's a player, and while far from perfect, I am really pleased with how it turned out. It sounds huge!

I'll try to post some pics up here in a bit.....the new guard came for it today.

PS, I stripped all the purple with various grades of sandpaper, and a trusty sanding block......it was a major pain, but worth it.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    last one...you can clearly see the green here.

[​IMG]

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Looks kick ass Tim! You did a good job transforming this bass!!! I'm a bit jealous...I get my modded Ray in the next few days though so I can feel better.

Have you seen this pic from my other thread? Some took the neck from an '81 Ray and built a Ray with a mahogany body with flame maple top. I can't wait to see it in person!

Send me some close ups so I can post your bass in the gallery of my site...will ya???

[​IMG]

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Holy crap, that is beautiful! Is that the original hardware as well? It doesn't appear to be a musicman bridge, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That looks great. I don't think the green looks too bad either. Good work.

13. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I thought the same thing myself, but the description on the Bass Palace site states that the bridge is correct. I'll let ya know soon.

I don't think the hardware is original except for maybe the tuning machines b/c it would have had the 2 band EQ like yours since it's pre-Ernie.