Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 8-year-old was threatened with a gun...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hategear, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yesterday afternoon, at my kids' YMCA-sponsored after school program, two teens on skateboards threatened my fiancee's 8-year-old daughter and her little boyfriend with a gun (the entire after school program was outside). According to "Laura," one of them said, "We're gonna shoot and kill both of you," and then opened his jacket to reveal a handgun. Laura ran to one of the program supervisors, who called all of the children indoors. The police arrested the teens and confiscated their gun, which turned out to be a BB gun (the arresting officer told my fiancee it looked like a Colt .45). The arresting officer also assured us that both teens would spend the night in jail. I don't know what will happen from here, but a notice was sent home with all of the students, explaining yesterday's situation. I heard a blurb about the incident on the radio this morning, but couldn't find anything in the paper tonight. If something gets printed tomorrow, or if I happen to find something yet tonight, I'll post it here.

And people wonder why I'm so pissed off all the time. Those two ******** are lucky I didn't get a hold of them.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. jeezus!
    what a couple of twits. glad all the kids are ok. that crap is scary.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Wouldn't you like to take it up man to man with those kid's fathers? I know I would if I were in your shoes. Unfortunately, if they're pulling B.S. like that, the fathers are probably long gone (just my speculation, not meant to offend any fathers who have abondoned their children...)
    How is your little girl doing? Any signs of post tramatic stress problems? Make sure she is doing okay, but count your lucky stars that this was "only a scare" (not meant to minimalize) ...it's a cold hard world these kids are growing up in today.

4. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Just 2 stupid examples of why gansta rap and anything that glorifies gunpoint crimes and "pimpin" are embedding themselves into the brains of our more youthful and naive population. I love guns myself, but I don't use them during a criminal activity, only for skeets and ranged target practice. I love women as well, but not for abusing or sending them out to turn tricks. Even 10 years ago when I was watching mainstream crap and mainstream crap music I was aware of the influx of pro crime pro violence message. I guess my point is that obviously that is where they got this "cool" idea, I can't understand how else would a teenager get this idea to threaten people with a gun? Any other ideas on how this came to be? Blame it on society?

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    That's just FUBAR. Seriously, I can't imagine ever doing anything like that when I was younger, I mean, I'm only 19, but that's just sick. My parents would literally have killed me if they'd found out I'd pulled a stunt like that.

Glad to hear everyone is OK (physically at least).

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    That's just horrible! I don't know what to say.. I wonder how their parents raised them.

7. I am nineteen too, and wow would it be over for me if I ever did something like that-and very rightfully so. Why would anyone threaten a child? That is just baffling. I work at a YMCA and thankfully nothing like that has ever happened at my specific branch-dont know about the others in our district-but I certainly hope not.

All I can say is I hope justice is served... I dont think a night locked up will do it.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hows the child dealing with it now?, what a down right mean thing to do to a kid.

9. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Matthew......
    I applaud the effort to be sensitive to others feelings, but I feel it's OK to offend fathers who have abandoned their kids. IMO it goes to the core of all that's wrong right now.
    Fo

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Man, that's wild. Canada is looking better everyday...

11. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    wow. Hategear, I'd sure like to know how this turns out and what gets done. I teach kids up to grade 4 and we've had incidents with knives and the like, but no weapons so far (fingers crossed). I'm still amazed at how many times I find out about a threat made by one child to another and it's treated so lightly by administrators and some parents(usually the offender and not the threatened)---or completely ignored and the child being back in the classroom within minutes.

protect your kids folks---cause some places still take this stuff too lightly even with examples of it all over the place.

12. It's people like this that make the world that more grim. :spit:

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's the NRA's position that people should be allowed to have guns to protect themselves. I was merely making a sarcastic remark about that. Yes, it was sort of political. *SSHHhh!! Don't tell anybody!*

Whatever happened to little kids just pounding each other with their Tiny Fists of Fury? Now they have to resort to guns?

14. i blame the following:
    gravity
    rumsfeld
    video games
    the public school system
    benjamin strange
    jaco (he only needed 4)

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That is sooooo 80's man. :meh:

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think you might add parents to your list

17. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Its rarely that simple.

I've seen people do similar things and they have no interest in "gangsta rap" etc. While I admit the culture portrayed on MTV is stupid, its also over-simplified, I don't think it's the only thing that would cause something like this.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    only 1 day???????????????????????????????????? wt*... there is something wrong with getting one day for saying "i will kill you" i dont care if they didnt have a gun... that ****** **** should not be said...
    i got kicked out from school because i worte WORD "kill" when i was in boring science class disecting frogs (not ment to be against any person...)... and nice few years of community service (as well as county school for rest of my school days) (btw agree big mistake... should have been a nice kid not a trouble maker...)

Those brets get away with threating life??? something wrong with that... personally while going to school i've seen kids with real guns... not to scare you but i was offered to buy gun on school yard few times... (one of them was old revolver small lady gun for 60$ so they are affortable) those idiots might as well had that 60$ gun... thats about how much my airsoft handgun cost me (m16 airsoft abit more... $300 but boy is it nice:])... not saying those brainless ones should have gotten life... but more then a day... i mean you can still kill with bb gun... i'd go after their parents too:/

I hope your girl is ok... its a kind of thing 8 year old should not be thinking about especially if those kids get away with it...
    she sounds cool btw... acctually have brain/guts to tell someone about this... many probebly wouldent:/

BTW how old were those two?

19. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    That's terrible man... that kind of stuff shouldn't happen.

You should be glad that the kids knew exactly what to do by telling somebody.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    school uniform that kids are forced to wear everyday that is PINK! you cant be tough in pink... no one can... you just look silly for being tough while wearing pink:p (except if you are girls in greece)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.