1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 80's Band may not be what it's cut out to be...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 26, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    About two weeks ago I posted a really excited message that I was forming an 80's band after responding to an ad. So, I learn all the music, plan to travel an hour to this kid's house, and last night, he calls and says 'hey man, the drummer and singer can't make it, you still wanna hang out?'

For an hour's drive and $20 in gas EACH WAY, I'm not just going to hang out, and he was sort of offended. But I explained to him, and he agreed that it was a waste of time and money just to hang out.

He wants to try again next weekend, fine by me. We've decided sunday afternoons work best for everyone, and our first scheduled rehersal, half the "band" can't come to. Then the guitarist, the kid forming the band, says he may not be able to be part of the band afterall, that he really needs to improve himself as a guitarist.

I'll admit I'm not the best bassist, but I know for sure the best way to learn to play is to PLAY, especially with other people.

This may not be the fun, fairly easy band afterall and may be more trouble than it's worth. But hey, I just want to PLAY!

Whattya'll think?

2. So the question you need to ask is:

"Do you guys want to do this or not?"

A band needs commitment, it doesn't just fall into place. There may be times when personal or professional commitments mean they can't rehearse, but surely there should be some priority with the band if they want to succeed.

You should get to the bottom of this quickly - if its just a bunch of dreamy kids with no dedication to the success of the band, then you should avoid at all costs. Don't stress too much either, there will always be other bands.

Good luck

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm kind of in the same boat, minus the commute. I've got a potential singer who can't make time. Unfortunately, he's also the one with the practice space. Luckily, we don't have any gigs, and I'm not putting anything else off for this, either.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I started getting a feeling this wouldn't work when the guitarist said he may or may not be able to do it, and I found out the drummer had another full time band.

Maybe I'm going to start looking elsewhere.

5. I just put a band together a few months ago. Notice the "I" part. That's what you need to do, Put one together by your own doing. I make up the schedule, I organize everything and I don't put up with B.S. from the other guys. However, their is a fine line between being a leader and a dictator. Everything we do and play is done democratically. But every band needs a resonsible leader. The person who knows how to get things done and can possibly help finance some things if need be. We use my house for practice, and I got us a trailer to carry our stuff in for free.
    Get the picture? If you can grab the bull by the horns, then you can control who is in your band. Its not just a matter of, "Oh, you play guitar? Great." With us, its a matter of you play, well so does a thousand other people. What do you play, how do you play, where do you see yourself in 6 months, a year? You sing, nice!!!! Now, how do you sing, what is your range, do you have your own PA?
    Control the band, not the people in the band and you will hav what you are looking for.

6. Disappointing, though. In your last thread you sounded quite excited about this little venture.

Oh well, maybe keep the idea and just look around for other musicians to make it happen with you.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've thought about starting my own, however, I do not have a place to rehearse, no PA, just two big bass amps :D

Doesn't look like I'll be starting anything serious soon.

8. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Don't give up man! If you want to have an 80's band (which I think is a REALLY cool idea), then go for it. So this lineup doesn't work out....there are plenty of other players out there who probably want to do the same thing.

What PerfDavid said is exactly what I did, the only difference was that I had a partner in my guitarist who wanted the same things. We posted ads in several online classifieds looking for first a drummer, then a guitarist, and then a vocalist. It took a long time, but we found the best guys that were out there, who also wanted what we wanted. Before and after each audition, we laid everything out on the table...where we wanted to go as a band, what kind of time committment we needed from each person (in terms of how many practices, gigs, and even how long we required each person to commit to being in the band - which was at least one year).

We got everything working right, and now we're starting to gig. We've already started to create some local buzz because of the talent and the set lists (we play mostly 70's and 80's hard rock covers).

Find out if your guys just want to jam or if they want to get out there and gig. If they just want to jam...then maybe get together every once in a while and jam with them. But if they want to play, you guys have to set some committment and performance goals and then try to stick to them. Good luck!!!

:)

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like a plan, but honestly, I'm not looking to commit FULL TIME either, just not as little as this. I can give one or two practices a week, and could find room for gigs, but not much more.

Unfortunately I'm at school now, an hour from my home. I do have a car here, so I'd be able to play somewhere in between, but not much farther out of the way.

Not quite an easy position to be in, however, I may have some bassist for hire work coming soon with a local instrumental jazz fusion guitarist.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was excited back in the day, it was an excuse for leather pants and everything.

Unfortunately, it's not working... yet.

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Keep at it. I had a similar situation about a year ago. I wanted to start a pop band-- playing 70s, 80s, 90, and current band oriented pop.

I had a written plan, possible songs, required instrumentation and a great keyboard player who was totally into it. Then the keyboardist wasn't learning the tunes, the female auditions went poorly and I eventually gave up.

BUT: I'm back with my old band now and things are pretty good. I still would like to do another band with a pop rock kind of thing going. Just stick with it. Prefdavid and friscobassace had good suggestions.

12. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    80's + Japan = money, move to japan