1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My '83 Precision (Fullerton)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragan, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Hello all,

this is my 1st post here...
    well,I came across this GREAT bass, as title says,it's P bass, from '83 -famous fullerton era.
    I red before one nice post of Caca de Kick (fullerton era master of knowledge!) and learned interesting things of those.
    anyway, it came with DiMarzio pups, both P and J on the bridge,and with refinished body (black) ! before that the bass was coloured fiesta red.
    It has somehow smaller(thinner) and narrower-at-the-nut neck.
    at the back,theres a plate says Made in Corona,California and the plate looks pretty new.
    Previous owner swears it match the Fullerton era story. The heel of the neck confirms that too,at the end.
    does anyone (Caca) knows about details like that?
    anyway, the bass is at the one great luthier - I wanted to fill that J pup cavity ( will keep the P bass pick up only) and to refinish it again and properly, in Sahara Taupe, as I always liked Paul Jackson and his sahara taupe P bass.
    OK,before you all fall asleep, some photos:

04_08_2009__004.

04_08_2009_20037.

04_08_2009_20040.

Fender20Precision20Bass2083_20neck2.

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    83 was Fullerton, Corona didn't produce until 1985. Maybe the neckplate was a later replacement? It's not one of the Fullerton reissues though, just a regular MIA Fender.

You'll need a new pickguard thanks to the extra Volume pot. You gonna refin in Nitro?

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Actually, just about everything made before 1985 was a fullerton.

4. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    it looks as new plate,for sure. and yes, I will get new pickguard too and probably will go for the nitro.
    how do you mean it's not one of the Fullerton reissues - I heard that all the basses from '81 to '84 were Fullerton '62 reissues (at the time they didnt calls it reissue tho)
    hmmm....

all in all,what is most important - bass plays and feels just terrific! love those ol' P basses with maple necks!!!!!

5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Not true, they were the first reissues, made to '57 and '62 specs. They also made non-reissues, which is what this is (was).

6. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    D**N! I knew I shouldn't join this forum!:crying::D

7. This is an 83 American Standard Precision and not a reissue. The three bolt bridge is also a giveaway for the period. I understood however that all standard models of this era had white scratchplates and pickup covers. I stand to be corrected. My 83 certainly has white plate and covers.
    Precision.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I kinda like the J pup being there. It makes it different.

And why in the name of Sam would someone refinish Fiesta Red? I mean, really.

9. Cool bass. I do love the maple neck on my P bass and my serial number is close funnily enough..E310071. Been wondering about adding a j pickup for a long time. Were these made with the J pu straight out of the factory? How does the added j pu sound in tandem with the P and solo?

10. An 83 Standard (of which that bass most surely is) would not have come in Fiesta Red. Available colors were black, ivory, sienna burst and brown sunburst. If it was ever fiesta red (which it probably wasn't) then that was a refinish as well.

11. Nope.

12. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    That neck looks to have a plate for micro tilt on it - might explain why you've got a narrow width at the nut. Only Jazz basses had the micro tilt on them.

13. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Not true. I have three Fender basses from 1983, all original; two Precisions and a Jazz. All three have micro tilt.

14. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    Now that's interesting. I never knew that any P's apart from the Elites came with micro tilt.

You live and learn. :)

15. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Both of mine are Elites; however, I'm quite certain that other models came with the micro tilt as well.

16. Kmose

Kmose

Feb 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Lakland, Aguilar
    my 83 precision is not an elite and it does have the micro tilt neckplate. Can anyone tell me how to use the microtilt feature? Also is there a way to roll the edges of the fingerboard so the don't feel so sharp? The string spacing is wider than my 2000 MIA P and has taken a little getting used to, but the pickup sounds better to my ear than the newer P pickups. Were they wound differently? What makes the white pickups sound different?

17. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    well, yes, the bass has micro tilt on the back. the neck is narrower and there was obvious trace of fiesta red on the body underneath black cover.
    that's why I asked all of these: is that RE or just a "standard", with all these features (neck,microtilt and fiesta)

someone asked what is the tone with added J, well, it certainly has nice tone but that's not P bass and that confuses me, I love that classic P bass pick up tone,that's why I'm taking J pick up out of game.

Cheers!

18. Are you sure it's an original body then? IT has non-original pickups, pickguard and most likely pots. At that point perhaps the whole body isn't original? Fiesta red was definitely not an original color that year so if that is underneath the black than it was either refinished before or not original.

19. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    my goodness! thats what my buddy asked me the other day when he saw it. ah,***, it can be whatever - the bass is great in any case.
    all I know, body is pretty light, must be alder body and pretty old one, nice and dry.
    thanx anyway!!!!

20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    When they dropped the original Precision and Jazz basses (as well as the Strats and Teles) and replaced them with the Standard and the Elite series, they put a 4-bolt neck with micro-tilt on the Precisions too.

These were introduced shortly before the summer NAMM show in 1983. Fender cut the dealer force by half, and dealers who were going to stay on board received one of each of the new models without any notice- Pretty interesting to unbox about a dozen new Fenders and none of them are anything you've seen before...

So, the bass in the pix looks like a modded Standard Precision. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to think that whoever added the bridge PUP just used a B/W/B pickguard rather than the stock 'guard.

John