1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 90 P-Lyte

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beartrack, Feb 26, 2008.

1. beartrack

beartrack

Feb 26, 2008
    The problem is I bought this thing new in 1990, and loved the look... the last black metallic one in North America at the time, and I searched for months to find it. Within the first year, my movement caused the wires on the active pre-amp to become disconnected. Carrying a soldering gun in my case was normal... and usually on any night I'd be four or five songs into a rehearsal before popping out the gun. At sixteen and seventeen I made a bit of a mess of the thing. At some point, it got stuck in the case and left there for years. Now, I can't figure out where the wires belong, and haven't had any luck with several technicians.

I've never been a big fan of the tone. It feels good on my shoulder and I have a bad neck, so that helps. The back of the body is a little banged up from the belt buckle and my aggressive stage presence... and likely won't fetch a great deal of dough.

If the factory pick-ups are considered fine, I'd like to try and fix it. On the other hand, the active pre-amp cuts out when the battery dies anyway, which is a real drag... and maybe someone could recommend some killer passives to fit into this thing. It's got precision and jazz pickups, so I'm guessing the passive versions will fit perfectly. On the other hand, I love the sound of a good Music Man. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. riku888

riku888

Nov 1, 2007
    Hello,

I have a black P-Lyte and love it.
    if you're going to make it passive, then I'd love to buy the pre-amp off you. (To go into a bass that I'm building).
    Bill Lawrence is a good place to start looking for passive replacements. They're well priced as well.
    If you do want to get rid of the pre-amp then please mail me at
    riku888@hotmail.com

Richard

3. beartrack

beartrack

Feb 26, 2008
    thanks for the idea, richard. I'll email you to stay in touch, so when I get to that point, we can discuss it further.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I wasn't too fond of the stock Lite sound either but I loved the bass to play on. I'd go passive and Bill Lawrence pickups are a great suggestion.

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I just bought one recently and gutted it. I hated the pickups and preamp with a passion. I tried it with a 62 Reissue P and a DiMarzio Ultrajazz first, and the Ultrajazz made it but the 62 Reissue P sounded a little wimpy. So I put on a Duncan Quarter Pounder P, and now it really sounds about as close to a regular PJ Fender as I think I can possibly get it.