Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My a & d strings arn't as loud as my E and G =\

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I think either the strings are shot or it's the pick up, my friend was playing my bass with a quarter :( I've had this bass for like 8 months without changing the strings or ever putting it in a bag or case =\ Or maybe they are out of tune, I'm a bass newbie haha. I should buy a tuner :(

2. You can get electronic tuners DEAD cheap. I got mine for like 13 bucks american. But I don't think it is the culprit. GET ONE ANYWAYS. THEY ARE LIFESAVERS.

I don't really think it is a pup problem, unless you did something crazy to your bass.

I think it may be a string problem, and I think for a newbie, a .045-.105 set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Nickels is JUST THE TICKET. Great bang for your buck. They aren't Elixir Polywebs by any means, but they are well-balanced and sound very good.

I think its a bad idea to have strings of different brands (and thus less tension), so replace all at once. Bass strings last FAR longer than guitar strings, so you should be OK.

Good luck.

3. hey man. what kind of bass do you have? this is a pretty common problem on jazz-style basses, but a P pickup can be adjusted to each string.