My A+ English paper about me & my bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 21, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I just got back my english outcome where i had to write a short story, where i chose to write about my bass, how i got it and other little things. Im so proud that i got an A+, i though id share it all with you guys :D

Its a Saturday afternoon, and im waiting for everyone to get ready to go out. Im done, im ready to face the world, I channel surf as mum gets herself ready and fumbles around. I find a station with a few guys sitting down, with a massive orchestra behind them. Its obviosuly something musical, but i normally wouldnt be interested in this kind fo stuff, but it isnt that bad. It even gets mums attention. When i find out that its metallica, it turns me away a little, but hey so far so good. It wasnt a song. It was an epic of musical proportions. Everything about it was good, but the one thing that stayed in my head for the rest of that night was the bass. That way it played the song, and the way it drove the song. It drove the song. I look at mum, and i said to her "I'm the next bass player".

Its like the guys from MMM (local radio station) could read my mind. On the way to the resteraunt, enter sandman is thumping along. The first thing i hear, is the simple yet oh so effective bass line.

I do some research in magazines, the net, but the one thing that helps me so much is the trading post. We ring the local music shop, and discover that their cheapest package is $300. From the mom,ent i put down that phone i started saving. Every red cent my greedy eyes would see went sraight into my wooden sarcophagus i called my "piggy bank".

So many colors, so many shapes, sizes, strings, so many different looks. We tell the staff what we're after, and the guy shows me. My god. A wine red baby. 4 strings. I take her home, plug her in, and straight away i have no idea what im doing. But who cares, im in love!

My mates have their gear and we discuss what little we know. "well mines red"! i boast, "Mines got more strings" brags chris, the guitarist.

For the next 18 months, i play. And play. And i play. I learn what songs i know, and have extremley bad technique. I couldnt care though. I got my baby set up professionally, and repaired by a local guy who is wonderful at his work. After going back a few times to get my bass worked on, mark says that i will need a new bass soon enough. I realise what he means, and start to save just as hard as when i first did.

The next day my parents inform me that for christmas we're going away to Queensland. I dont complain, as long as i can take my baby. They say OK, and the day we are leaving i just her in the back of the car. Our first night i get her out and play a bit of Metallica. In a different climate, a differnt place, she feels different, yet, she still feels like mine. The sound, yet it isnt the same bass i left with. After playing for a bit, a youngish guy comes over to me with his acoustic guitar, and after a few minutes of musican jibberish, we play. My first jam!

When i get back to melbourne, i start to look for my new axe. I got into the largest store i can find, and see a beautiful blue bass for only $400. I have $300 and mum agress to pay half for me. I smile at her, and plug her in to have a play. Yuck, there is a crackle, like there is a bad earth or something. The salesman takes it over to the workshop and tries to fix what he says is a routine problem. After 10 minutes, he comes back looking very disgrunteled, and he drags my attention away from the $6000 basses, and to an Ashton AB705. "$600 for you, because we have oput you through all this trouble". I turn redder than the Stingray next to me, and agree.

I get home, plug her in, and my stero is chugging away "Exit light, enter night, take my hand, we're off to never never land."

These basses arent bits of wood, they are people. They all sound different, like me, they react to everything in differnt ways. They are my oldest freind, they are there for me 24/7 and they're the only way i can truly express how i feel without judgment. They are mine, and they will take me where i want to go. They will cahnge me, for better or for worse. They are my creative outlets, they are mine.

THE END!

What do you guys think? Thats if you had the patience to read it all :D.

2. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Wow, that's deep, man looks like you love playing bass as much as I do :) Great work:bassist: :bassist:
  3. My essay about bass playing got me into college.

Good paper man! I think everyone should be aware of the essay-potential the bass holds.
  4. You got an A+ for that!?

nice work.
  5. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    tsk,tsk lies, no blackmail, no murder, no sex, no conspiracy theories? Very disappointed, i'm leaving, you're all crazy, stop being crazy you crazies.

6. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    That was great man, The last paragraph touched me inside. Wish more people felt that way about their instruments instead of competeing to see whos is better.
  7. I don't really understand why that is supposed to be worth an A+, sorry, but most of my grades in any kind of language class are in the vicinity of a D because my oppinnion usually does not have any similarity with any body elses oppinnion