1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my a string keeps coming off the nut!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Johnny Tsunami, Oct 26, 2013.

1. hi all. ive been reading this forum for awhile and now decided to become a member.

anyways, i changed the strings on my fender jazz bass like a week ago, and all the strings work and sound good. except for the a string. when i use my fingers to play the string, it comes off of the nut. it doesnt happen every time, but when i play a song like 'dani california' it came off the nut like 5 times during the song. it sometimes happens when i use a pick, but not as often.

also, the string then buzzes when i play it so i worry that it could be an issue with the truss rod. can i just replace thes tring, and it would be fine or do i need to take it to a technician?

any help is appreciated:help:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Very common issue. Breaking angle is too small because you cut your string too short.
    It must be wrapped down to the very bottom of the machine head.

3. huh?

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    How many times is the A string wrapped around the tuner post?

5. dont have it out in front of me, but i think it is 2. and now that u mention it,it is the least wrapped string out of any of the others. so that may be it?

EDIT: just looked, it is 2, but my E and D strings only have 2 full wraps as well, and they sound fine. on a side note, when i was stringing it, i found that the A string was for some reason, hard to string compared to the others. the thing kept slipping off of the tuning fork.

6. The E string's tuning post is closer to the nut than the A string's, and though the D string's tuning post is further away, it has a string retainer. These things allow a greater break angle over the nut.

7. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Don't cut the A string.

Leave it long and wind it down to the base.

Should solve your issue.

8. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    Are you winding the strings toward the inside of the tuning posts?, I could see that happening if the strings were wound the wrong way toward the outside

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

One guy did exactly that a while back, eiund it up.

You gotta leave lotsa length on the A so that its rught down on the deck. Check this solution:

Fender Additional String Tree on A String?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15038655

Fender-Additional-String-Tree-on-A-String?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1025432

10. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    I usually have 3½ wraps on the tuner post for the E and A, 2½ for the D and 2 for the G. Make sure the wraps are tight and neat with no wraps crossing over others (very important for tuning stability!) and the last wrap is on the bottom (closest to the headstock). When stringing just poke the string end in the center hole in the post as far as it goes, make a bend and start winding, guiding the string with one hand so the wraps go neatly on the post, each new wrap under the previous wrap. It's a good idea to pull the string towards the bridge when winding to keep some tension on it, that way all the wraps go tightly on the post. When done tune the string, then pull the string up at 12th fret and release it, check tuning: it will be flat, retune and repeat until the string stays in tune. Finally check the intonation and you're done! The end result should look like this:

fender+110.

11. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
  12. So I should just change the string and no harm no foul?

Also thanks for all the advice I appreciate all the help.

13. Such a good video too. Thanks for the link. It's the first time I ever strung this fender so its good to know

14. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I looked all over for some example photos of this and found nothing so I made some.
    Astring.

Puma likes this.
  15. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    It would nice if Fender offered the "stealth retainer" as a stand alone part

16. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    With the photos above you can see that oftentimes even two wraps is enough if you can get them pushed down far enough.
    You may need more wraps if your tuners don't have straight posts like the ones above but maybe not.
    Try loosening the string just far enough so that you can press the winding down and as you tune back keep holding it until it sticks.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I wrap the E/A string to the bottom of the post using about 3-4 wraps and more wraps for the D/G strings depending on the thickness of the string. Your D and G strings have the string retainer to help so that's why they sound ok.

In fact, recently I've done away with the string retainer on several of my basses relying solely on the strings having enough wraps to fill the posts to the bottom to keep the strings down, so far it seems to be working out.

18. The critical part is: start with the strings high and wind all the way to the bottom of the tuner post. Thi both locks the string in place and gives you a sharper break angle over the nut.

Personally, I find a couple of wraps to be too few for comfort. I usually end up with 4+ wraps, but I'm not OCD about it.

When it comes to string length, I stretch the string past the tuner post and cut it off about four finger-widths past the post. This results in 4+ wraps, but keep this in mind: you can always cut off MORE. You can't put any back on.

Or as my dad liked to say, "No matter how many times you cut it off, it's still too short."

19. Yeah mine is like the top one. I will try to fix this but should I re string or de string and then re apply?

20. This is how it looks right now around the tuning peg
    EDIT don't know why my pics didn't post. I'm using the app on my android and it doesnt seem to wanna put pics in my post