Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My ABG (Now with pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 12, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I finally restrung the bastid, and frankly, I fell in love with the cheap POS one more time! First the story: I went to NYC with my girlfriend, and she promised me that we'd check out the guitar stores. I went into Manny's, and found a few things I liked, but couldn't afford. Went across the street to Rudy's, I walked into the bass section and walked out 'cause I knew sneezing would cost me about $4,000, so I went over to Sam Ash, played a few jazz basses I liked, and on my way out, a clearance rack grabbed my attention, and there, front and center were two Brownsville ABG's. Skeptical, I picked one up, and it played like butter and actually projected. Not quite a Thunderchief, but this thing could play!

First of all, the thing used to cost $300.00, and it's nice for that much money, but then they discontinued, so Sam Ash.com is selling for $239.99 (If you still want one, Sam Ash.com has two left here) and it turns out that it was a floor model too. Had a few small dings, a few scuffs that could be buffed out, and it was missing a bridge pin. I could take care of that, I figured, and my girlfriend really noticed me smiling as I played it. I even plugged it in, and despite a cheap, no-name preamp, it sounded pretty sweet. And even better, the price tag was $99.99! Because it only had three bridge pins, old strings, and needed a few scuffs buffed out.

I told the Sam Ash croonie that I'd take it, IF he'd give me a bridge pin (and he pulled one off of the other floor model) AND gave it to me for $100.00 out the door, taxes included) he said okay, plopped it together, and we took the subway back to her apartment. Waiting for the train, I managed to make a buck and a half, almost enough to pay the fare!

I get back, she told her mom that I bought a bass, and she looked at me like I was nuts. I was nuts, I bought a Brownsville. It sounds good, now I think I have to sand the headstock a bit! :)

[​IMG]

Now that red thing is a Chevy SS logo, that I put over a really ugly finish chip down to the plywood (yep, it's a photoflame wannabe with a quilt top) so here's a detail shot.

[​IMG]

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    looks nice! wouldnt expect something like that from import basses... but then again they have been putting out some nice stuff lately!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I find that they're REALLY hit or miss. I mean about 99 misses for every good one. I find Sam Ash puts their best examples on the floor so samples are never a bad buy.