My accomplishments this week.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I finally finished reading that *@$%!#%#@$ Bossa Nova book.

Almost exactly one year ago today, my friend gave me this book on the birth of Bossa Nova in Brazil during the late 50's/early 60's. The book is about 300 pages, moderate sized type, with a few pictures and buffer pages. I usually could get through a book of similar size in about two-four weeks given my interest level. But this one took one full year to read!!

I knew pretty much nothing about bossa nova before reading this book, that, coupled with no capacity to understand Portugese and the authors anecdotal storytelling style that made use of a, sometimes, very loose chronology. As a result, keeping track of the numerous names, locales, and groundbreaking albums was a little tricky, but once getting about a quarter way through the book I learned I only needed to know 3 names: Joao Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes, along with maybe Roberto Menescal, Carlinhos Lyra and Ronaldo Boscoli.

The main problem was my summer was spent watching after numerous hyper-energized 10 year olds at a summer camp, which greatly cuts into ones reading time. Along with my first year at college. Any free I had was spent reading comic books or "recreation"; as I was too worn out to concentrate on continuous lines of texts without the respite of cool pictures.

That being said, I do encourage everyone to read "Bossa Nova:The Story of the Brazillian Music that Seduced the World". It is very interesting and well-written; with many humorous stories about the movement's movers and shakers and a vivid portrayal of post-war Brazil and the music scene therein. I have, indeed, started listening to some Bossa Nova and enjoy it, good study music. Intelligent, subtle and highly melodic.

Of course, make sure you'll have plenty of free time in the coming months.
  2. thats cool. i finished a book called "gingerbread" today. it was about some punk girl and her surfer boyfriend. i wasnt really concentrating caus i was listening to warning by incubus, and the cd had a skratch so it cut to the beggining of the song during the last second. i like that song.

anyways, the bossa nova book sounds sorta interesting. is i see it somewhere, ill eaither pick it up and skim through, and just like, walk away, it's not my book anyways.
  3. in a different thread i talked about how i was arrested at fiesta texas and how they wouldnt let me explain anything and i was fined $150. yeah, i got that paid off yesterday. :D