Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My action keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hi everyone, I just got back into bass playing after a good 6 month break, and I got a new bass yesterday. It's a music man S.u.b, amazing bass. But yesterday, it was set up, brand new strings put on it, and it sounded great in the store. Than I brought it home, and it was fretting out all over the neck, so today after school I brought it to the shop, and they set it up again. I played it in the store, it sounded even better than the first time it was set up. So I bring it home, and playing and than 20 or 30 minutes into playing, its fretting out again.

Im pretty annoyed right now, I dont even now what the problem is. There was maybe a 6-7 degree tempeture increase from the shop to my house. So maybe thats the problem, but I've never had a problem like this with my crappy Ibanez.

Any help is appreciated,
    Sean

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like the saddles are settling by themselves. Put some lock tyte on the screws.

3. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Will this make the setting perminent. I dont even know how to adjust the action on this bass. The bridge is diffrent than the floating bridge my ibanez has.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not permanent, but permanent until you want it to movie. An allen wrench will easily break the seal that the stuff forms around the threads of the screws. The bridge is quite simple. The strings are held up by a little 'thing' (?) that has 2 screws. You simply turn the screws with an allen wrench to raise and lower the 'thing'.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm going to make the suggestion that the problem lies in moving the bass about so much. I think your neck is feeling the effects of different temperature and humidity situations between shop, school, and home. adjusting the saddles will make it playable, learning how to adjust the neck relief will leave you in a good position to keep the bass in playable condition.

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I left the bass at the shop after I relized it just dropped on its own without a temp. change. They said they would take care of it. So I guess that solves my problem.