1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My active bass is clipping the preamp on my head (help plz)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loveandbass, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Im running a modulus bass with an 18v EMG preamp. With the volume knob on full (preferred) it seems to clip the preamp input (Eden WT300 w/tube pre). If I roll back the volume to half-ish, the issue goes away. This doesnt seem to be the proper way for it to function. Batteries in the pre are new.

ANy help or input is appreciated.
    thanks

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Have you tried lowering the pickups?

Bob Lee (QSC) and Lo-E like this.
  3. Hot active output.
    That's why you have a volume control.

Does your amp have active/passive aka hi/lo inputs, or a switch that will attenuate the input signal?
    Does the active bass circuitry have an output trim adjustment, maybe as a small pot on the actives circuit board?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    prd004, Saetia and gebass6 like this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^ try that first

Have you tried rolling back gain and rolling up master? Maybe the tone controls on the bass instead of the volume knob on the bass... Is there an input pad or low gain input on the amp? Do you have anything between the bass and amp that might be the culprit? No offense intended if these simple ideas are all things you've tried and know to do, just offering up some ideas.

Edit: Looks like OGB types faster than me, lol.

5. No. I type slower than anyone. Just got started ahead of you. ;)
    My typing is one finger on an iPad. Because of the way my thumbs work, or don't in this case, I can't thumb type.

zon6c-f and basscooker like this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Bring the gain down until you no longer see the clip light. Then bring up the master volume to your desired loudness.

7. thanks guys. is this a common issue? seems like the default is to have the volume knob all the way up for obvious reasons which makes it seem odd that it clips the input. gonna have to see if there is an internal pot for preamp output.

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Could you be doubling up preamps? Have you tried running your bass straight into FX return? If your actives are a preamp already, they may be hot enough to skip the pre on your amp.

9. There is really no reason than an active bass needs to be hotter than a passive.
    There are other reasons why you would want to use an active, but gain isn't one if them.

Ewo and Ampslut like this.
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Have you considered that this is one reason why there is a volume control on your bass?

At one time there was a big push for hotter and hotter pickups (with & without preamps). As they got hotter, amp manufacturers had to respond by including either a wider gain range or a pad on their preamps. Fortunately this trend seems to have slowed down and levels have become more reasonable.

Spidey2112, okcrum and NathanDetroit like this.
  11. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Read the Eden manual on how to set the gain. But it'll say essentially what DWBass said.

Westsailor likes this.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah man! I believe the EMG will do the 9v thing but not sure what affect it would have on the gain.

Riis

13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This is exactly what you should do. If the clip light comes on occasionally when you really hit hard that's ok.

14. Dean N

Dean N Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Turn down the blue one! :woot:
    20170820_160311.

15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    All of my active basses are hotter than any passive I've owned or own.
    This is really obvious when I am running a bass that is passive/active and switch between them two modes.

JGbassman likes this.
  16. That situation would really bug me enough to want to go to the trouble to do something about it. YMMV.

anotherhomeysan likes this.
  17. With a lot of nice active basses there's actually a gain trim pot inside the control panel. If you bass has one Probably need to turn it down.

Did you by chance accidentally touch a 9v battery to the clip the wrong way? Did that once and it jacked up the entire preamp. Lesson I learned from that is don't change the batteries in the dark.

InhumanResource likes this.
  18. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    How on earth did you manage to install the battery wrong? The socket sizes aren't the same and it's almost physically impossible to do so.

InhumanResource likes this.
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With an active bass the signal is buffered...there's no loss of tone if you turn down the volume at the bass.

Session1969, climber, TomB and 2 others like this.
  20. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    Does the amp have a gain control?
    Some (eg. Trace Elliot) even have a red LED to tell you when the input is overloading.
    Alternatively, you could put a passive volume control in your pedalboard.