1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Advice - DON'T USE DURACELL BATTERIES IN EFFECTS (OR BASSES)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    For the next time somebody searches for batteries:
    I have mentioned in a previous thread that I had lost a Brinkman flashlight, a kids toy, a cheap VOM, and nearly a Fluke VOM due to leaking Duracell batteries in a variety of sizes.

Today I found a laser pointer that hadn't been used in a couple years.
    Now ruined by battery acid leakage. Also the Duracell 9 V's are bigger than the rest and have to be forced into MM basses. I have used Energizer's and use Procells (without a leak) but will never use Duracell's again. The QC at Duracell is non-existent and their products are junk IMO.
    You've been warned.

IMG_9723.

2. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    From the MM FAQ FAQ | Ernie Ball Music Man

"We recommend Duracell batteries as replacements mostly due to size inconsistencies between battery manufacturers."

3. They can all have their problems, but I've never had that happen to me, Duracells or otherwise.

Haroldo, 1960jbass, -Asdfgh- and 2 others like this.
  4. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I have never had any problems with Duracell batteries, and I have them in all of my active basses. I have one Duracell in a Stingray that has been in there for two years with no signs of leakage or corrosion. As with all batteries if you are not going to use the appliance for a long time, then remove the battery.

5. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Years ago (when I was an active member their) a guy said it was a tight fit.
    I knew this as I have an 83' SR.
    I measure a few sampes of the top 4 batteries with a vernier caliper.
    Duracell was always bigger; like maybe as much as .035" (can't remember).
    I posted all this and a suggestion to try other batteries, but it didn't go well.

Baisically I was told I was wrong as the fans back whatever big papa says.

barrenelly, andrew, jmattis and 3 others like this.
  6. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Oh Dear, you really shouldn't have said that!
    Now you will feel the full force of Big Boppa's EB Army who will try to totally humiliate you.

7. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Oh,
    I had 4 failures which I think is alot for one person.
    You may not.
    We use ACDelco batteries (Amazon) for the home stuff like clocks, remotes, etc.
    After 2 years none of them have leaked but not enough sample time to be sure.

andrew likes this.
  8. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    Procells are made by Duracell...

9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Exactly.
    Corporate clearly knows how to make quality batteries; just not in their consumer line.
    As far as I know, the ProCell alkalines are what is used in commercial applications for batteries.
    Of course IMO/IME

rollie 55 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  10. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    Procells are used almost exclusively by large tours... in every wireless mic, in ear pack, etc. they do have there occasional qc issues. But are the industry standard. Though I've never left them in anything long enough for them to leak. They get changed every day..... will say the old red and black ones were better than the current yellow ones...

andrew and bbh like this.
  11. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    The reason everyone uses procells is they have a great power curve. They give you full voltage till the very end. Cheaper batteries and most rechargeables start dropping in power and at the very end may only be giving you one volt rather than a full 1.5 volts... for a AA battery that is...

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I have noticed two things with Duracell:

1. The previous family pack of AAs I bought started leaking while stored despite not being expired. Never had that problem before.
    2. The current packs they offer all claim to be super storage capable and failure resistant. We'll see.
    Maybe they produced a bad batch.

UnderTheRadar likes this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Alkalines of every brand, if left in a device long enough, are susceptible to leakage.

A decade or so ago, I started a practice on New year’s day of checking expiration dates of all my battery run devices. If a battery expires that year, it gets changed. Net result? No leaks in a decade - Duracells or Energizers.

If we pay attention, alkalines are ok.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’m wondering if there may be a lot of counterfeit Duracells floating around. I do know there are plenty of prople selling Duracells that have passed their sell by date. I bought a box of AAA and AA cells from an ebay seller and both were more than six months past their “fresh if used by” date. I contacted the seller and his response was “you got a great price so what’s the problem”.
    As with all things though, where you buy your batteries has a lot to do with performance. I don’t buy much from the local AllMart but i do buy batteries there for no other reason than the high stock turnover rate. Same with CA, i get it at the local hobby shops because they sell so much i’m assured it will be the freshest i can get short of ordering direct from the manufacturer.
    As for Duracell battery performance? I used Kodak 9v cells in my bass until they disappeared, then switched to Duracell and except for a few times i was forced to buy something else because i needed it right now and Jed’s Grab-N-Go only had something else, I’ve used nothing else. Granted my bass has plenty of room in the cavity so minor size differences would go unnoticed, but i’ve never had an issue with any Duracell 9v battety in my bass or my kitchen clock. I’ve also used quite a few AAA and AA cells and they’ve all been Duracell and except for a slightly shorter service life from the discounted cells i got off ebay, never a problem with any Duracell leaking. But i never (on purpose) store battery powered things with batteries in them so there is that. I just checked a couple of closet queen basses and both had clean Duracell 9v in them. I went ahead and removed and tossed them since the basses rarely get used. I did stick a piece of tape to the case inscribed “no battery” just to keep me from forgetting to put a battery in them should i pull one out to play.

petrus61 likes this.
  15. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Nope...
    I've been purchasing & using Procell/Duracell 9v. batteries by the dozen for decades with zero QC issues.
    "Lazy is as Lazy does" - F. Gump

IMG_3788.JPG

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No battery will sit in a device well for years. I won't get into what I do. But part of it involves hundreds of inspections of small devices. If those devices go unused for years, I have had every kind of battery you can think of leak and ruin the device.

Most of my facilities use Procell. But others use all kinds. And none of them "sit" well.

Laser pointers and multimeters are the kinds of things that sit in a drawer or toolbox or glove box for a couple of years until you remember it's there (when you need it).

17. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Does anybody expect to find no problems with dry cell batteries that have been sitting in ANY device for 2+ years?

When you got a flashlight, you’ve got a couple of batteries that will eventually make a mess. When you have a 9 volt, you’ve got SIX AAAA batteries wrapped up into one. You can expect trouble in a few years if you leave one plugged in.

18. DocTT

DocTT

Apr 22, 2018
    I have Amazon 9V rechargeables in everything: basses, pedals, smoke detectors, alarms, etc. They last a long time, take charges great, and I've never had a problem with them. With my SR1600, voltage (in circuit) is good for a couple of months. I understand some don't recommend rechargeables, but they work great for me.

Artman and kohanmike like this.
  19. I buy generic batteries but I've also used Duracell and didn't have any problems.

20. I only need batteries for my tuner. These work fine.

upload_2018-12-9_22-17-53.

Artman, StayLow, TimBukToo and 2 others like this.