Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Afrobeat/funk/jazz band Mdungu. Nine clips to check!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassliner, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Hey if anyone's interested in African music:

On the website of my band MDUNGU are nine clips of 'our' music: http://www.mdungu.tk (under 'Multimedia')

Thanks for checking it out and let us know what you think in he guestbook if you want ;)
    Ciao,
    MW

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You guys have got a nice sound. I think your guitarist should play a bit louder when soloing. Also, what type of bass is that?

-Eric.

3. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Thanks!
    The guitarsolo you mean is on Think no Further I guess?Somehow, it's not loud but it cuts through beautifully. These live recordings are actually from just 2 mics in the room... With a little EQ ;)
    The bass:
    With this band, I always use my 'Andre van der End Custom 5'. This luthier is often referred to as the 'Sadowsky of the Lowlands' (Netherlands). That bass is really versatile, but HEAVY ;) A night with this band and the next day my body hurts. Time to buy a better strap for that baby....
    If you'd like to know more about this bass; check the 'show your bass forum', it's in there. And unfortunately, Andre is a bit old fashioned and doesn't have a website! I'll have to talk to him about that ;) Well, the reason he doesn't have a site is because he wants it to be perfect, not just a fancy collection of pictures but an informative site which make his ideas on building basses clear..

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Wow, you study at the Rotterdam conservatorium, vet joh ;)
    I'd like to study at the conservatorium too one day, maybe in 3 or 4 years, when I finish my studies, if I get in :meh:

I'll check it out later, I'm on a public computer right now.

Ow, and could you put up some pics of your dutch sadowsky?

5. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Sure.. although they're all over the forum ;)

[​IMG]
    Short guide to the bass:
    3 pu's: J MM J,
    6 pots: 3xVolume, Passive tone/Active treble, A.-Bass and A.-Midshape
    3 switches: Bridge pickup selector; J or MM, Active/Passive, Coil switch for the MM.
    I think I got everything electronic now. All electronics/circuits/pickups handmade by Andre vd End.
    The woods: Wenge top on Ash body, Birdseye maple neck with koreander fretboard.
    If you want more information about Andre vd End, I suggest you contact Paul's Bassmatters: http://www.bassmatters.nl
    That store has good contact with vd End and is in the same city, Nijmegen.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    THAT is a Sadowsky? That looks WAY too cool to be a Sadowsky. I mean, there are some swanky looking ones, but that is totally hot.

PS: Your band has a great sound. I love the grooves.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    No... he means the guy who built his bass, 'Andre vd End' is often refered at 'Sadowsky of the Netherlands.' Some pro's over here say he's better than Roger. The bass looks wonderfull anyway. Especially the top.... :cool:

8. Nice groovin stuff, man. Keep it up!

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Very cool, Bassliner.
    So, when will you come to Iceland? ;)