1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Aggie (GS-412) needs an amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GBassNorth, Mar 17, 2009.

1. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Looked everywhere, read everything (yes I did a search and read the posts there as well) and I've narrowed my amp search to 3 choices. I think any of them will sound great, but I'd like to hear which one of the 3 you think would sound best for classic and hard rock played thru an Aguilar 412 cab with a precision 5 and a stingray 5. I've briefly played or heard each one (unfortunately not side by side) and they all sound great but as important as sound is it isn't everything. Durability, weight, resale, flexibility, reliability, ease of use and other factors come into play. One factor I'm not worried about is cost, if I go used they're all within a few hundred dollars of each other.
    The amp choices are:
    Marshall VBA400
    Fender Bassman 300P
    Aguilar DB-750
    So all things considered - of the 3 pick your poison and tell me why.

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Needless to say I'm going to recommend the aggie DB750...

My choices in order
    1. DB750
    2. VBA400
    3. Bassman 300p

The bassman sounds kind of dark and muddy to my ears. It has a hifi sheen to it but it is definitely mid scooped and doesn't cut thru in a dense mix.

The marshall is a brute!! Great amp, good eq and will definitely cut thru in a mix. No real complaints, just a great, powerful tube amp. Actually it's not that heavy for a tube amp. Not quite as hifi as the Aggie, and a little more aggressive than the DB750

An aggie cab and aggie amp tend to work really well together. It's truly a 750 watt amp. No excuses in sound. You can know down small children with the wall of sound created by the combo. It is also very versatile with other cabs as well.

I have played all three heads thru a Aguilar GS410, Fender 410 and an ampeg 810. I love the aggie and that would be my first choice, but the marshall would be a close 2nd

3. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    A BIG +1 on the DB750.

Although I'll take my Berg HT322 over most any cab out there, a DB750 through a GS412 is absolutely EPIC! You won't care that you've got to move a rig approaching 200 lbs, because it really is THAT good!

I agree with the above statement about the Bassman. It tries really hard to be hifi, but is really floppy and weird in the low end. Also, it's nowhere near as loud as the Aguilar.

I was not impressed at all with the Marshall. It was way too aggressive and kind of boxy sounding.

4. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    I've done that comparison as well between the fender and the aguilar, aguilar is just a solid performer, still not tube based from what my understanding but delivers like a tube amp

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Thanks guys! Excellent input:) - running 3 out of 3 for the Aggie DB750:hyper:.
    I had the exact same observations on the Fender 300P, it sounded less like a tube amp than the DB750 and the bottom end got a little loose on the 410 half stack I used during the demo. I was a little concerned that it would only be worse with a ported 412.
    The marshall sounded great but you just don't see many bass players using them. And again, I wasn't able to demo it thru a 412 ported cab so I just wasn't sure if it would sound as good once I got it home. I didn't notice it being ''boxey" but I did notice that I would probably never get the volume cranked enough to get it into a distortion mode without going deaf first.
    I'm leaning towards the DB750 even more now that you've confirmed what I thought I was hearing from the other 2 amps. In addition to the GS412 I also have a Berg HT322. I'm not that fond of the tweeter on the 412 but I love the high end on the Berg. They're both 4 ohm cabs, maybe I can connect both to the DB750, dial off the 412 tweeter and dial up the HT322 top end for a really sweet sound.:eek:

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    DB750 by far!

7. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    :meh: DB750 :bag:

IMG_1298-1.

sadowsky3.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Of those 3 the DB750, but I actually like the Mesa Titan better with that cab.

9. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    DB750 for sure. I have a stingray and a p-bass as well and I play through a DB750 and a DB810. I have had a lot of other amps and this has been my favorite rig to date. The tone is clean and not devoid of mids but not so much that they overwhelm. I think that the Aguilar has a warm tone unlike anything else on the market. I also think that when they say 750 watts it's true. I have a SWR 750x and it's volume and gain are nowhere near the Aguilar. I've used the Aguilar with other cabinets and it always sounds good. I'm not sure about the Marshall head but I am not a fan of the Fender. I don't think it's as versatile as the Aguilar.

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Ok, that does it.
    !!! Unaminous on the DB750!!!:cool:
    Oh, and thanks for posting the pics - that didn't help my gas attack any;)
    Now that you've all steered me in the right direction, one last question - is there any significant difference in the older DB750 and the newer ones? From the pics I've seen, it looks like some of the older ones (the ones with the bent rod shaped handles) have bent rack ears. Was the face plate too thin for the weight of the amp or is there something else going on here? I've not noticed the same damage on any of the 750s that have the flat plate handles.
    Thanks again for all the help (and pics).

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There's something about the synergy between a DB750 and a GS412. My DB750 sounds amazing through my Schoeder 410R, but there's a big part of me that lusts after a GS412.

12. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Nothing going on, they changed the handles as they couldn't source the original chrome ones from the supplier any more.