My Alembics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sonicthunder, Aug 21, 2003.

1. sonicthunder

Mar 11, 2003
    Franklin, IN
    Epic 6 has Low pass filter, with Q switch mod.
    Essence 5 string has the same.
    My Mesa Boogie 400+
    '72 Fender Bassman V.T. 2-15 loaded with JBL 2226's is my favorite setup.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now these are some very decent-looking basses.
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Very Nice.

Yes, very nice indeed.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man do i love epics....they are great!!!!!
    haven't tried another ambelic tho'..atleast not yet
    hhmmm does an ambelic fit with a punk/ska band?
    i already get weird looks with my ric, and mtd.

5. For me Alembic are the most ugly Basses ever, just wanted to tell you so :D

But your's are okay. Not 100's of switches and knobs.
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Man, if I got signed to a major label band/ won the lottery the first thing I'd do is buy myself the nicest bass I could find.

...and I'm pretty sure it would be one of them there Alembic basses!

I was in the gallery in london - fantastic shop - and the owner caught me staring at this stanley clarke signeture, cocobola front and back, omega cut out etc - and he said "she's a pretty one huh!"
    to which i replied "i'll bet the price isnt pretty though"

and he replied with a smile and "it is for me"

actually - for less money, i could have this same guy make me a bass to my specifications.
    i'd love a bass like that, but in the end i could get a bass custom made to the same standard (not so i could tell the differnce anyhow!) for less.

shame cause they really are beautiful looking intruments,, you must be very proud! :)#

that said i would never buy a bass made out of a rare tree. not my thing.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A few years ago the Bass Centre in Wapping had a good range of Alembics and several like those in the pic - I spent a morning trying 5-strings and tried 3 or 4 of these, but didn't like them at all - not the sound I like and didn't feel right - didn't like the balance.

I also don't like the narrow necks on the "Stanley Clarke" type Alembics.

If I had unlimited money it would defintely be a custom Ken Smith - with AAAA quilt maple top!!
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Quilted maple, Ken Smith, yuck!!! :spit:

Different strokes! :D

I know it's not really about the look, but they is ugly. I played a ken smith 6 at the gallery unplugged i pick it up and "strummed a few notes" - the neck was like an ironing board!

i want a six actually, but it'll have to be a narrow neck and a super light bass... my puny frame cant handle a big bass for more than an hour set!
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Wide and flat necks rule!! ;)

Ask Chris Fitzgerald :

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, now that KS doesn't look too bad ;)

Alright it looks fantastic... but i still dont like the maple!

flat i agree with, but wide, no, my hands wouldnt span that far without cauesing me pain.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

For me it's the other way round - no problem with how wide the neck is - but if it is very thick from front to to back (like Warwick Streamers and Thumbs) then I find it painful to put my left hadn thumb in the centre of the back of the neck and play, for anything more than a few minutes.
  12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Then I've got two of the ugliest basses you'd ever hope to see ;)

13. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Those are some nice hippy sandwiches...with everything on em. (alembics in general) :D

I can't stand wide and flat's all about the baseball bat, narrow and chunky. Warwicks = good. it's all about the D profile too. C's feel too thin.

but yah, as much as I'd like one, I'd be afraid to own an Alembic, or any other really high end boutique bass. I would throw myself off a building if it got scratched. (one of the reasons I GAS for an XL-2...indestructible)
  14. those are great looking alembics. if I had a lot of money (which I hope to some day) I will definetly have one in my collection. I think alembic is like the bently of bass, just super classy. un-necessary but. everyone could probably get by just fine on a fender P or J but where is the fun in that.
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Some of the best left hand technique advice i was ever given was to not put any pressure on the back of the neck with your thumb. Just let it glide across the back of the neck, under the string you are playing on. It has given me a better tone, more endurance, speed, and accuracy. I've never had thumb pain since (except when i hit it with a hammer.) If you aren't doing that already, you might want to try it, but different strokes.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

I do this already - and often put no pressure at all on my left thumb - I don't need technique advice. My advice is simple - don't buy Warwicks!! ;)

I have never had any left hand thumb pain anyway - ever!!

I have explained this so many times on this board and I assumed Howard knows what I meant - so the Warwick necks hurt my left wrist - if I apply correct technique as you mention.

On the other hand it's not so bad if I apply incorrect technique - but anyway I know the answer - as I say - just don't buy bass guitars with thick, narrow necks!

It' no problem for me, as apart from a few minutes trying in shops I never have to use basses like this and my own basses are very comfortable!
  17. sonicthunder

Mar 11, 2003
    Franklin, IN
    I loved it when I first got it. It had a solid wenge neck and fretboard, but after buying the Alembics, the Warwick seemed like a toy, and sat in the closet.
  18. sonicthunder

Mar 11, 2003
    Franklin, IN
    I found a used one at Guitar Center, and it was a real letdown, because I wanted a Ken Smith, and There are smith's out there that I would like, the one I tried, didn't do a thing for me.
  19. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
  20. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Here is my 2 cents worth:bassist: