My all new... "Look at my new bass... it's the best ever" thread!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Aug 16, 2005.

1. UPS brought me a new toy today. A mahogany bodied, mahogany topped, white wenge fingerboard Skjold bass. When I received my redwood topped fretless bass from Pete early this year, I thought it was the best looking, and then the best playing, and sounding bass I'd ever picked up. (O.K. The Benavente's play really, really nice) But for me the Skjold just seemed to fit better. And the new electronics that Pete has make it an absolutely amazing fretless bass.

So... I ordered a fretted bass to go with the fretless. Now... I really like my Benavente 51P. It's mahogany, with ebony board, and it sounds great. However it's 34" scale, and my fretless is 35" scale. I really want my fretted and fretless to have the same scale length, so I don't run into intonation problems based on muscle memory. Since I liked my Mahogany bodied Bennie so much.. I knew that's what I wanted for the body. Pete showed me some woods for the top, and for some reason I jsut really liked this Pomelli figured Mahogany so we decided to use that for the top. Then instead of ebony for the fingerboard, Pete thought the white wenge would really go well... not just with the looks, but tonally as well.

Well... I opened the case after it arrived and was completely blown away... the bass looks amazing. It is actually better looking than my redwood fretless. The pics of my fretless make it look really good... but everyone that has seen the pics first, and then seen the bass.... all say it looks better in person. WELL.... I can guarantee this bass looks better in person than any pics I could ever take of it... but I tried. I quickly went into the other room here at my office (where my band rehearses) plugged it into my rig with both the Schroeder 1210, and 21012... and was blown away... Set flat, this bass has the most remarkable tone... it was just what I wanted.... super low end that is so tight and defined and punchy... it will knock you clear into next month. The top is sharp but not brittle, or annoying....The slap/pop stuff just sounded amazing. Most of what I do is fingerstyle stuff... and it is just HUGE!!! but not muddy. From there Pete's electronics are amazing and will take this bass wherever you want to go tonally.

Well.... tomorrow I'll put it to it's real test... in a band setting. That's what really counts. And then we've got 72 hours of studio time starting Friday. So between now and then I've got to spend a lot of time with the bass.

Enough talk... it doesn't exist unless there are pics.... here's a few. Oh... At my request Pete did a little inlay thing for me at the 12th fret. Pete did it freehand and it came out just as he and I discussed. I'm sure some will think it's a little cheesy... but I like it!!

The pic's are all thumbnailed... click'em to enlarge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome, don't you love new basses!!!!
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow!!! Spectactular.

Another great one Henry. Love the woods...I didn't know white wenge existed and I think I'm in love.

Enjoy! :bassist:

PS - Don't ding this one, ok? :D
  4. Pretty nice. Not too sure about the neck though ..
  5. Shes a beauty---
    Pete sure knows how to build em. I like your choices of woods and i say that his electronic package is excellent, I dig those Skjold pickups, and his use of John Easts preamps is a great choice and very musical. Your 12th fret inlay- is it inlayed or written on? The picture doesn't do it any justice.
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    what the hell that words Jesus Rocks put in the bass :confused:
  7. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its a composite inlay.
  8. ceasarbass.... yes... I do love new basses!!

smperry.... I didn't know about White Wenge either... but so far I'm really diggin it. I'll know more after tomorrow. The true test is always in a live situation. (thanks for the tip.... I really hope this one can make it through the first day without me taking a huge chunk out of it!!)

bassguitar.... the necks on Pete's basses are among the best in the biz. If you're referring to the fingerboard... that's cool. The white wenge is different. IF you're talking about the inlay... that's cool too. I'm the one that has to (or gets to) live with it. Pete just did what I asked, and did it well. Pete's a great guy, and I truly think he builds one heck of a bass. I will be getting another one from him soon. But instead of going fancy... I'm going to go with a passive stage series. For the money... I don't think there is a better bass out there for a giggin bassist.
  9. Hey FunkyTune... I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that. I'm going to assume you don't like the inlay. That's fine. I relish the fact that we are allowed to have different opinions, and beliefs. It's the bass that matters.
  10. I can't tell what Funky Tune meant either. Doesn't really make sense to read.

Anyway, sweet bass dude. That is some amazing mahogany. I'm really intrigued with this white wenge that Pete's using. I need to get some.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Nice bass! Very cool choice of woods! I've heard some great things about Pete's basses from Basso Gruvitas.

Great testimony at the 12th fret too! Can't think of a better reference point than Jesus!
    That ought to open a door or two for a witness.

HE is the Rock that rolled my blues away! ;)
  12. That is an incredibly sweet bass, inlay and all.
  13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Wow. Talk about stuff Ive never seen before.
    Where did you find out about white wenge? Honestly, I think it lacks a clean look (it looks dirty), but Im sure it looks a lot better in person. That top is really something, though. Its your bass that finally made me love the look of mahogany.
    Hows the weight?
  14. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    what's your point?
  15. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I mean, if I may elaborate without this turning into a political/religious thread, for those of us who do believe in God and Jesus, is it OK with some other folk? or must our basses also conform to being politically correct? :eyebrow:
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Although I have yet to play one of his basses, Pete Skjold has become my favorite "pretty wood" bass maker. They look great and the soundclip I heard of one really impressed me. Best of all, his cheaper models run much less than a Metro, they are more like a Bongo or a Skyline with active electronics. His stuff is great deal IMO. :bassist:
  17. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Congrats on your new bass man. It looks AMAZING. I'd never heard of white wenge either. I wonder if it's an actual wood or if it's like the sapwood. I hope it sounds half as good as it looks. That also happens to be some of the nicest mahogany I've seen. Back included.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In defense of Funky Tune, I think English is his second language. I know he writes in English way better than I can write in Spanish! That said, what Biker4him had put on his bass is his business. It didn't merit a negative comment.
  19. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Agreed. It's Biker4Him's bass and by expressing his beliefs it just makes it that much cooler for him. I say right on!
  20. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    That´s a nice bass, I don´t dig the headstock, still is a nice looking bass. And that white wenge sure looks awesome!!