Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Ambush bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the original owner (12-28-2001):

I now own this bass:D

I've known the owner for a couple of years now and didn't even know he had been on Talkbass till I saw this post. I saw it advertised on Bassgear.com last week, hooked up at Atomic with the owner and the rest is history. It's a great bass, very tight sound, the thinnest neck I've ever played, wide spacing which I prefer, Bart electronics which I also prefer. If it's possible for a neck to be "too fast" this is it.

Spalted Maple top, Ash body, composite neck w/birdseye Maple board. Bartolini soapbars with Bart NTMB 3 band preamp w/3 position Mids.

Couldn't be happier with this bass. I first played it about a year ago. Surprised it came up for sale... and at a great price

:hyper:

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Sweet bass, Brad -- love the birdseye/spalt combination!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That is some of the most classic, beautiful, spalted wood I've seen Brad.

I'm not a spalt fan, usually, but that turns my head around.

Plus, I assume it sounds like a monster!!!!

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    What's the other toggle Brad? Active/passive, series/parallel or single/dual coil?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Good goddess, that's beautiful! That might even be my favorite of your very impressive stable. Cheers!

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rickbass

By the by, I forgot to mention - Jeff Rader is going to be receiving, what I think is, the first spalted maple Sadowsky soon.

AFAIK, it was a special request, for which, Jeff is paying dearly and Roger took a lot of time so he could find the best board.

That should be a visual knockout, too.

GORGEOUS headstock to die for, BJ!

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It does, rick. Does the full bodied thing AND it has a vibe that's like a cross between an Alembic Series I and 70's Ash Jazz. Hi-fi but very phat sounding. Thanks.

9. rickbass

Brad - I thought it was classy of you not to mention the price.

You always make us sick to our stomachs with the deals on super basses you finagle!

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks Ken and Aram. As usual my pics don't do it justice.

The second toggle is dual/single coil. This bass has the tighest slap sound allowed by the FDA. So far I've been favoring dual coil operation.

Put this thing in Jaco mode (bridge soloed, bump the mids a touch) and it's like a ball peen hammer strobe:D

My next gig is next week, should be fun. I also picked up a modified MIJ 75 Jazz Reissue at Atomic Music the week before. Sunburst Ash body, Maple neck/board, block inlays. Bartolini J pickups with 2 band Bart preamp (under pickguard... nice job), 18v battery boxes in the back, BadAss I bridge. This thing is smokin'. $400 (sorry, Rick;))

My wife is really starting to give me funny looks:D
    :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It was on Bassgear.com, Rick. I paid the asking price. He didn't ask for much;)

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Interesting. I kind of looks like a Brian Moore. Neat!

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks for the headstock pics, Brad... you read my mind! As noted, they're beautiful.

And... rickbass, I'm getting weird deja vu. Doesn't Jeff Rader already own a killer spalted Sadowsky 24F fretless? IIRC another Talkbasser owns the fretted sister to that bass (also spalted). And Jim S. has that killer spalt Sadowsky P-bass.

Maybe Jeff's getting the first spalt Sadowsky J-bass, I don't think I've seen one of those.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Damn,

That thing is gorgeous... congratulations Brad, You should be proud.!

15. rickbass

I could be wrong, Fuzz. But I correspond with Jeff a lot and I know he and Roger really went all out on this one. Jeff said he thinks it will be done is several weeks. He has waited and waited on this one. That's no dis to Roger.......he seems to being making this one something very special. I've seen the bare wood and it smokes if you like spalt!!!!

Maybe he already has a spalted Sad..........hell, Jeff has so many mega-dollar basses, I can't keep track!!!

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    One of the nicest birdseye fingerboard I've seen.
    Great looking bass.

17. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm jealous! I emailed Scott Ambush awhile ago (like probably a year) about getting one of his basses. I assume he doesn't make them anymore. I figured I'd give him a shot, especially since I live in the same town.

I saw him live last week, and he played one of his basses (as always). That thing sounded awesome through his Eden rig. I should have asked to play it :)

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I don't know if he's still building or not. His website is still up, might be worth another try. I haven't seen him in over a year.

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    nice touch on the back of the headstock!!!

great score Bradley!

f

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice wood, congrads on such a beautiful bass.