My American P Bass !!! Help !

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Well today I changed the strings on my bass (1st time since buying it a few months ago) and as I was adjusting the action and seting the intonation I notices that my A string was getting a really metallic resonating sound and that when tuning the bass there was a bit of gritty kind of grinding is some spots when you turn the key, I rubbed my finger along the gear type thing in the back and found that a goldish and silver colored powder was on my finger sparkeling in the light. from what I can see with a flashlight when I turn the key they gears seem to be grinding against each other a little bit, but the only one getting damaged is the inner one which is more concealed. I don't know if this has anything to do with the resonating sound but the bass is still under warranty. And I'd like to know if the grinding is normal (I wouldn't imagine it is) and what you think is causing the metallic resonating sound, its not fret buzz I made sure of that and it can be heard best when I put my ear to the back of the headstock next to the gear for the A string.

Please help ASAP.
    Your Friend
  2. The resonating sound maybe a loose tuning key. It may also be your bridge, or the string is set to high in the nut.

To fix that, simply all you need to do is wrap the string around the bottom of the post, so the string is going down after the nut. If it's still there check the string heigh & bridge screws.

About the gears, I'm not sure..

Hope that helps :)
  3. If its a new bass, then it wouldnt surprise me if you are just wearing away the nice pretty coating on the tuning gear. If u see noticeable wear on the gear aka teeth wearing down.. then yes a problem.

What type of metallic resonating? I mean brand new strings can often sound really metallic almost clangy. But if what you are hearing is more of a metalic buzzzing, then check your action, intonation and relief of the neck. ;)