1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my amp as subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krstko, Jan 21, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    My friends asked my band if we could lend them our PA for a birthday party. We agreed. But soon we got to one problem, our speakers have 12' + tweeter, there is no low end. We know that there will be party music which needs alot of bass. So my band mates asked me if I could use my amp for subwoofer. I knew this was stupid but I tryed it anyway. I used heavy eq to get lows only and it worked just fine. So my stupid question is, can I use my amp as subwoofer on a party that lasts for probably a whole night? Will the 410 cab handle it? Can my amp overheat?...
    I use Hartke HA5500 w 4.5XL cab.

sorry for my bad english :)

2. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    I've don it with my peavey 112 with a stereo 1/4 jack to the power in at low volumes, couldn't tell you if it's good for loud occasions. Did it for a while 6pm-230am. The onlt band I had a problem with was acdc, lots of kick, the kick can hurt, as the amp is make for bass.

3. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    *low volume as in not loud enough for the neighbors to complain*

4. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    I've done it. It wasn't ideal, but it was an improvement.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Go from the Mono out on the powered mixer into the bass amp. EQ the highs out. We ran a makeshift sub this way for a while. It didn't sound all that great, but it was better than nothing. Eventually we bought a power amp with a crossover and run a regular sub system.

6. Don't do it unless you are prepared to stand guard over it all night. Sub frequencies in dance music will kill your drivers at party volume. If you're not standing by it with the low low end eq'd out all night there will probably be damage. I wouldn't do it for love or money.

7. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I do this in my home office with an old crate combo that I bought before I knew what to buy... using a crossover, and it actually sounds real good, but I don't push it to party volume, and I'm the only one that know which knob is volume :p Be very careful, and don't be scared to eq the very bottom out of it

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Your English is fine.

You will not hurt your bass amp by using it as a sub for pre recorded music. It will only go as low as it will, and as loud as it will. It will be fine.

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

It won't be ideal, but with recorded music, it could probably be okay. I'd advise just cutting the highs and the mids all the way rather than boosting the lows, though. And watch it like a hawk, because people at parties are notorious for being idiots about gear that doesn't belong to them.

10. That's plain wrong. Clubs have bloody great subwoofers for sub frequencies. Bass rigs don't do 'em. Recorded music will flap a 4x10 into next week.

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah. Gear that doesn't belong to them.

On second thought. Keep your amp at home. Really.

12. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh stop it.

13. Korladis

I mean, you can do it, but you'll have to keep such a close eye on your rig that the party won't be much fun.

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with you, my Ric brother.

15. Korladis

Have you also been coerced into doing "sound system security" at a party? It's not fun at all. Everyone thinks you're a jerk for not letting them turn up loud enough to get the cops called or destroy the speakers, when they're too drunk to realize how loud it already is.

16. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes I have. And for me, no more loaning gear. Drunks at parties don't care about my rig. Nor do they care about your's, or anyone elses.

17. Korladis

Luckily none of the equipment was mine, it was all the party hostess's. But still, basically got called over and the party was getting going and people kept turning it up louder and louder, so she asked me and a couple friends to basically keep people away from it. I was glad it wasn't my gear.

18. Hi.

Everyone with a limited budget and everyone old enough has done it one time or another. Including me obviously, belonging to both groups ;).
    Judging by the about once a week question about it, everyone will continue to do so as well.

If You don't place any value to your rig or the PA for that matter, then go ahead. You might just get lucky.

Parties + inadequate sound system = busted speakers. Always IME.

Of course, if the party is at a 10sqm shed, it won't be so inadequate...

You could always baby your cab and PA for the whole evening though, being a volume police and having a party at the same time, I'm sure that'll be fun. For everyone concerned.

Regards
    Sam

19. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Tell that to my teacher xD

I think I'll try to get a real subwoofer somewhere. I really don't want to blow a speaker :)