1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My amp crackles when i move with my bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atlboriqua, Mar 16, 2008.

1. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    I just purchased an ampeg amp with a 4 x 10 cabinet. I noticed that whenever i am moving around with my bass plugged in it makes a cracking sound. I have purchased a new instrument cable so I know it is not that. I'm not sure if this noise is because of my bass or the amplifier. Have any of you ever had issues like this and could you tell me if it is the bass or the head of the amp.

2. That's usually the instrument cord - from being stepped on too many times.

Replace it. :)

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    You need a new instrument cable. Or possibly a jack repair. But probably the cable.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    do you live in a very dry place??? I've had some static problems with certain carpets and times of the year. You might try an anti static spray for carpets? or humidifier

5. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Does the cable move at all in the jack?

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I am having the same problem with my amp and it is not the cables because I just bought new bayou cables.

7. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Well I was kind of stupid one day and... I unplugged my bass with the amp still on and if I touched it some where it kind of made a crackling noise maybe it's not pushed into both jacks properly or something???:eyebrow:

8. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Stop moving!!!

*or replace the instrument cable*

9. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1 to replace the cable. If that doesn't work, replace the output jack on the bass, or at least tighten the nuts on it and check for bad solder joints inside the cavity. Worse comes to worse, you have a backup cable in case your main ever does die. That happens way more often than it should. :mad:

EDIT: Ooops, looks like you already replaced the cable. Wiggle the cable around in the jack. If it moves, tighten the nuts and push the contacts together on the jack. If you can't, replace the jack with a Switchcraft or similar jack.

10. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    EDIT: Ooops, looks like you already replaced the cable. Wiggle the cable around in the jack. If it moves, tighten the nuts and push the contacts together on the jack. If you can't, replace the jack with a Switchcraft or similar jack.[/QUOTE]

11. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    [/QUOTE]

OOps on me too! i meant to say he is probably right on about pushing the contacts in on the output jack on your bass. You may have to loosen the nut holding the jack to remove it,its not too hard. I had this happen from yanking my cord by stepping on it a couple of times. Run the cord thru your strap to protect yourself.

12. If you're sure it's not the cable, then static can be the culprit.

You could try a foot pedal in between the bass and the amp. If the crackling goes away, it probably is static. The high impedance inputs on the amp are sensitive to that.

13. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Read the OP he replaced the cable

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If it's not the cable, I'd put money on it being the output jack. Bring ti to a tech and have it replaced, shouldn't cost a lot.

15. jd858us

jd858us

Dec 13, 2006
    Was the amp new or used when you got it? Could be the input jack on the amp.

16. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    use a cleaning spray, and check the ground,it might need a look at,and all of the above

17. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    i had a similar problem with my stingray, it was the input jack. after i got it fixed no more buzzing. :hyper:

then another bass i have ( ltd viper 104 ) makes a scratchy noise whenever i plug it in. i had it looked at gc and they told me it could be the preamp. since im still under warranty, they'll fix it. :hyper:

18. Bassbwithu

Bassbwithu Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Make sure the pickups are ground to the bridge or remove your pickguard (if you have one).

19. I did. :D

New cables aren't always "good".

20. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    If you replaced the cable and it still crackles its probably the jack in the bass; replacing these every so often is routine maintenance. Go to the Stewart-MacDonald webpage and order a new Switchcraft jack for about $3.75 and if you can solder, install it yourself, its not very hard. They'll also send you their catalog full of interesting guitar building and maintenance stuff.;)