Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp crapped out on me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADuck5150, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ADuck5150

ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    NJ
    :scowl: A pox on your children, Hartke!

For about 3 years now I've been running a Hartke 4000 head through the 410xl cab (8 ohm). I've never had to crank it past 6 or so, but couldn't have it under 4-5 either (I wish I had gotten a 4-ohm instead). The clip light used to blink fairly regularly, which I took as it simply being over-sensitive. Just recently, I started hearing random pops coming from the speakers, with just the head running through and no bass connected. Then, the sound simply died out (as if a guitar battery was low or something) and the clip light was fully lit.

Obviously there's now a problem with the head, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the cab...could the amp have gotten overworked from powering that cab?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated; I'd rather hear from the real experts than some tool at the guitar store.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to answer your last question, no...............
    an amp that is rated for a 4 ohm minimum load (i think yours is - unless it's rated to power down to 2 ohms, which is even better), will run fine powering an 8 ohm load. It will be less stress on the amp
    BTW, you only would have gotten a 3 dB increase in volume by using a 4 ohm cabinet, so don't sweat it. I prefer using 8 ohm cabinets because if i want more volume, i can always add a second 8 ohm cabinet and get more of a volume increase than if i had a 4 ohm cabinet (but i digress)
    i doubt your problem is a bad tube only because i seem to remember hartke having dual tube and ss preamps........
    time to take the amp to a tech
    if you have access to another preamp (even a pedal) try plugging into it and sending the output to the hartke's effects return - if you get the amp to work that way at least you know the problem is in the preamp of the head, and you get to use the amp for gigs till you get it fixed or replaced

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    IvanMIke Good advice!
    Take the amp in for check up, it's worth it anyway and is lighter than your cab. Your Hartke XLT cab may have suffered a speaker "gone bad" too, so if the amp is still in great shape, lug the cab in for the same check up. Don't worry about ohm load for volume unless your not cutting through and need to add a 2nd cab. Your actually in a good position with the 8ohm cab because your system is flexible and would not be if you had the 4 ohm. Good luck!