Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my amp died and I have a gig friday!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaybo, Mar 19, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    My hartke head took a spill off of the cab at the last gig and it hasn't worked since. I'm really illiterate when it comes to amps so maybe someone can help me out here haha. I have two combo amps that i was thinking of using on both sides of the stage but I'm not sure how to do it really. Could i use the preamp out from one amp into the power amp in on the other amp? I believe both amps are 160w at 8 ohms.

Maybe I should just borrow one from someone hah. Thanks.

2. Only problem with that is it might take the signal from the one preamp, and take it away from that combo. I know on my combo, the Preamp out, works as an effects loop, and if you run something out, without bringing it back in, there will be no signal to the first combos poweramp. I would get a a/b splitter and send the signal from your bass to both combos.

I wouldnt bother putting on on each side of the stage though. That would just be way too much of a hassle.

But do you really need both of them? If there is a house system, then you could just go into that. But I find that a 150w combo is plenty enough for most gigs.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Assuming you can't go direct into a good PA;

Having a gig Friday, if it's important, I would line up a borrowed amp, as you say, or a rental from a local music store. Your "location" info is blank, so I don't know if a good rental is feasible (really helps to have your info filled in). When I play in some towns, I get an SVT Classic, delivered, for $50.

Otherwise, if I had two amps I would do as PLehmer says and use a splitter box. Even so, you will still only get 160W-league volume, which is awfully weak, IMO, if you're playing any music requiring considerable volume.

4. I would have to agree with the A/B box idea. Actually an A/B/Y box. It would let you run your signal into both amps at the same time. They are kinda pricey though. You might be better off renting an amp for the gig and getting your Hartke repaired. That sucks about your amp. Good luck and enjoy the gig Friday.

5. Thats what I was thinking about. NOt just a switch in between the two, but a splitter that would send a signal to both amps at the same time. This might not be the worlds greatest idea, but couldnt you just buy a cheap Y adaptor from an electronics store? I dont know if that would screw anything up.

6. I don't know. That might work. I would call someone that knows what they're talking about and find out about that.
    BTW-I notice that you live in Dayton. I live in the same area;just a little North of Dayton. We're practically neighbors. Where are you playing Friday?Good luck man.

7. Hey Funkmonkey, we are playing at a place called "The Cellar", its a pretty big venue, but its actually a skate park, with a big stage in front, and on Friday nights they bring bands in. IMHO I think it is one of the best small venues in the entire Dayton area, but I work there so my opinion is kinda prejudiced. :D You should come down and check us out. I would love to have the opinion of a TBer on our music. We actually have a drummer to play with us for this show, so our keyboardist can actually play. He is pretty much the foundation of our music, and with him the sound completely changes. Where are you from? Springfield?

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Your band sometimes plays without a drummer?????

9. haha, actually we dont <b>have</b> a drummer. We kicked our old one out in favor of a guy who was much cooler, but not quite as good. After about a week, the new drummer broke his wrist, and has never really recovered. And apparently there are no drummers in the entire Southwest Ohio region, who will play our style of music.

10. Actually,I am from New Carlisle. I'll try to stop out this Friday,but I might not be able to make it. I have some stuff planned with my wife. I've heard of The Cellar,but I've never been there. I checked out your website and it's pretty cool.
    So,have you decided what to do with your amp situation? I don't know where you normally shop,but Absolute Music is pretty cool. I used to work there and they might be able to hook you up with a rental rig or an A/B/Y box or something. If I can't catch you this weekend,I'll keep an eye for you guys. I like to support local music. I'll keep you all up to date when we get ready to gig. Probably 1-2 monthes from now.