1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My amp died!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 22, 2006.

1. My small 15W amp (SX Ba-1565) has a big problem. Whenever it's on (even if the volume is at 0%, and the bass is not plugged in) it makes this really loud noise so I can't play with it. I think it's dead. So I have to buy a new one. The problem is that where I live no one plays bass, so it's almost impossible to find amps. I found an amp, its a HH 100W amp. The thing is that it's really expensive (~400 €) and I read that the company doesn't exist anymore :meh: And I need the amp very soon, because the small practice amp was my only amp. Should I buy it?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Any chance of finding a repair shop to fix your old amp?

3. that loud noise is normal, happens with my amp but wen i plug mi bass in it works fine and it was like that wen i bought it nothing 2 worry bout

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

This really is probably your best bet, if you can't find something used. It will probably cost you much less than buying a new amp. And no, it's not normal for an amp to produce a loud noise when the bass isn't plugged in. You do have a problem.

5. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    But if it doesn't make the noise when the bass is plugged, why does it make a difference?

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If you're happy with you're amp that's all that ultimately counts. Amps do have varying amounts of hiss with noting plugged in depending upon the quality of the design and components.

However, amps just do not normally generate lots of noise with nothing plugged into them. Typically that's an indication of a problem with the amp. That may be normal for your amp or it could mean it's on it's way to a melt down.