Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Amp expert Brothers, I need your help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MingusBass, Apr 26, 2005.

1. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    So just a tad over a month ago I purchased a SWR 750x head from Guitar Center(no payments/intrest for a year deal) and I loved the sound that it made with my bongos. I order a SWR Goliath Jr. III from WWBW.com and when it gets here...the right speaker is defective-I sent it back. They send me a new Goliath Jr. and now this one seems to have a defective horn. I was putting the new cab through its paces with a 4 string and it sounded great...hook up my Bongo 5 and all of a sudden it can't handle hte B and the tweeter goes nuts ...I turn down the gain on the amp and the volume on my Bongo and it goes away...but since then it just seems to keep getting worse and 2 days ago it completely shut down and wouldn't make a sound. So I'm sending the second Goliath Jr. back and I went out and purchased a new Bergantino 2x10-great cabs and I thought I was done screwing around with those 2x10 Goliaths. So I bring the Bergantino home, plug it into the 750x...no sound! Do you think the second cab did something to my head? I'm wondering if it's just a fuse or a bigger problem. I took out each fuse and looked at it...and the one for the speaker output looks fine. What do you think it could be and if its more then just a fuse, do you think GC would let me exchange it even if its a few days past their 30 day policy? I need your guys help and I don't know what to do...

thanks,
    Andrew

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maybe there's DC at the amp output. That'd wreak havoc on any cab you plugged it into.

I don't know if this happens very often, but I've wondered about it, being that almost all S.S. amps are direct-coupled to the DC-fed output devices. I'd think that even a very small amount of direct current wouldn't be good for sound at least, and speaker reliability at worst.

Any of you amp-techies know about this?

(I think I'm sort-of on-topic...)

Joe

3. MingusBass

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    It's a hybrid amp...solid state power amp with a tube pre. Do you think it might be the tube? What are the odds of a tube going out on a 1 month old amp?

Andrew

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey,

I responded to you on that other place ;) so my thoughts are there, but the chances of a tube going out within a month of purchase (even if it sat in the store for a year!) are really, really slim. Not saying it's IMpossible, just not likely.

But even if it is a tube, I don't think that would of done all that madness you have described.

BTW, new thought, it has stereo headphone jacks in the rear, right? Plug in a headphone and see how it sounds! If it sounds normal to good, then for sure it's something with the speaker out (assuming the circuit uses the tube pre to output to the headphone out as well...I mean, most likely, I just don't want to assume and be wrong)

Again, best of luck...

-T

5. MingusBass

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I checked the fuse...it's not the fuse. I opened it up and the tube glows a bit....would it glow if it wasn't working right? Should it be glowing more then just a tad? I'm so frustrated right now.

Andrew