my amp farts out? and i am joining a band.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 18, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have the trace elliot commando head and a crate 410 sealed cab.
    well if i turn it up 3/4 of the way it starts to fart out. is this the cab or the head.

and i am joining a band where i have a very loud drummer two guitarist and a keyboardist.
    one guitarist has a mesa dual rectifier and a mesa 412 cab and the other one has a crate 120 watt amp.
    would my trace head be loud enough?
    the old bassist sold his hartke 2000 to me and got a 3500. he was running it at 8 ohms. making 120 with the 200 and 240 with the 3500.
    my trace head is louder than the 2000 even at 8ohms and the hartke at 4 ohms.
    and the trace amp gets really loud at 4 ohms.
    should i get a swr wm 3004? or should i get a hartke tp 410 cab to go with my crate?
    the trace says 100 rms.

i think the only reason itr farts out is because i turn the bass up all the way. i play a mia jazz now. i didn't have this problem with my spector or my g&l sb-1.

thanks for the help

2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Turning the bass up all the way... I think that would do it. Cut your lows a bit and try boosting your mids... I personally would sell the Crate 410 and get a nicer cab. Not a Hartke 410TP though, check for the best prices on Hartke stuff and maybe you can get the XL series gear. Then again the Commando head is 100 watts... I would also consider a new head. If I remember though you had complains about your cab a little while back.
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i really like the way the cab sounds. it just doesn't have enough low end for me. it sounded perfect with a 15.
    but i don't know exactly.
    i think i am going to get a head first then a cab.
    what would be the best cab for all around play?
    and i always have my mids boosted. cuts through.
    well this help me in a band?

4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Since I am assuming that you're wanting alot of bass, (boosting the bass all the way and all), have you considered using a single 15"?? Or even two?? I know that last night I played an outside gig with my band and my new speaker cabinets... As a band, I am sure that this was our loudest gig, (by far), and my amp didn't even begin to distort. I felt that I had a butt-load of reserve left... Clean, deep bass until the moon moved behind the mountain!! EQ'd to give plenty of top end also...

Just a thought...

5. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    What's your budget for a head mopar?
  6. i'd say the cab is your main problem. if it's "farting out" then all of your volume isn't getting into the room. i suggest that you buy a new cab that'll give you some more headroom, and then if you're still not loud enough, you get a new head.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but a 100 watt head is not going to cut it with the volume his guitarists are capable of putting out.

You need at least 300 watts, if those guitarists plan on using all of those watts. I would get a more efficient 4x10 cab first, but plan on getting a head asap. A Peavey Firebass is very affordable and a very good head. Get a 4 ohm cab and it will put out 350 watts.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    A Peavey Firebass puts out 475 watts at 4 ohms. A Nitrobass puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms.
    The Firebass I don't believe is all that much more than a Nitro-I would go for the Firebass. :)
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My mistake. 475 watts is even better than 350.
  10. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Well he could cut most of the lows boost the mids and the highs all the way and be heard. Wouldn't sound much like a bass though.
  11. it'd sound more like a clicky, low guitar... thing...