My amp farts out at high volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Aug 20, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    like... it gets distorted... if i play with a pick it doesnt usualy do it... but if im playing a fingerplay song....say..."I wish u were here by incubus" it farts out... ive turned the gain down... but then i lose volume... ive messed with the EQ...the high-low settings etc... what is up with it? if u havent guessed, it is a peavey tnt... would it do this if i added a 2x10... if i did that, wouldnt it spread the power out more so i am not driving all of it through one speaker thus making it cleaner at higher volumes?

............or maybe it is loud enough at 3/4 to be heard over the drums which is meh main cocnern (you know, typical garage bander "am i loud enough to piss off the neighbors" phobia)

if u have tips on how i can stop or reduce this, it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    My friend's laney had this and it could be avoided by changing the EQ-settings.

I'm not sure but I think I might have solved it by rotating the EQ-knobs from left to right a few times until they run smooth, they get cleaned this way (it was an old amp).

It's either the cleaning or the changing of the EQ that solved it, I don't know.

Hope this helps,
  3. Try turning down the bass level and turning up the mids.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sounds like you don't have enough power to run the EQ setting you have loud enough to compete with your drummer. Either thin out your settings, or get a more powerful amp.
  5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    i do that... but it just doesnt sound good to meh
  6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You could also try putting the amp up on a chair or table closer to your ears. This may help you hear better.
  7. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'm surprised you can't be heard... I have an 100 watt amp and my guitarist uses a 50-watt marshall AVT and I can be heard fine. I don't turn up 3/4 way either more like 2/3. You may not like turning your mids up but it's not like you're recording or anything so in the meantime you might as well boost the mids.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It might not sound good to you, but that is the answer.

Extreme low frequencies take lots of power to produce. If you are cranking the bass, all of your watts are being used to produce those lows. Mids are the easiest frequency range for the human ear to hear, but if they are scooped out, you will not be heard over the guitars, unless you have hundreds of watts at your disposal.