Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp GAS saga, and the SVT decision.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Alright, so I'm in two bands and I need two equally big and stupid-loud rigs. I've been using my Ashdown 500 with two Eden 410XLT's for one band, and in this other band I just joined a few months ago, my recently redone '73 SVT/810.

Well, I'll be damned if I didn't crease all 4 speakers in one of the Eden cabs abouth a month ago. On top of that, my Ashdown has started making a heinous noise when blended to the tube side. I also picked up this Mesa roadready 2x15 and raved about it on here for a bit, but I don't like it as much now as I did at first, for some reason. I think my ears are too used to 10's.

Screw it.

My SVT *so* completely blows me away now that I've gotten the speakers reconed and the head recapped and gone through. Nothing else comes close in tone and/or volume. So I'm selling all this modern crap and getting more old SVTs. My plan is three heads and three cabs total... that should do me.

Just thought I'd share...

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Loud an dirty....... that´s the way Bass should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool man. Glad you found your calling. :)

4. Your gonna blow another hole in the ozone layer with that setup...perhaps try 3 heads and 6 8x10's. The SVT was designed to push 2 8x10 cabs. Rock on. I have never tried my SVT with two cabs though...that would be stinken' cool.

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'd never run all of this at the same time, that would be too much (did I just say that?) Most I've run so far is one head and two cabs, and that was plenty. I might run 2 heads and two cabs at big shows, though, just for funsies. In that band, I'm up against some seriously LOUD orange/matamp guitar tone.

www.earthride.net

6. This should be step #12 in BTA (BadToneAnonymous). Steps 1 thru 11 would gradually and very carefully lead up to this. Not everyone has the fortitude to embrace the light "cold turkey". :D

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    LOL "Step away from the modern gear, sir, it's no good for you. Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put down that rack setup!"

8. MORE SVTs I SAY!!!! :D. I'm going to get another one as soon as I can afford it......:D

9. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I hear that! A guy here where I work has two late 70's heads, an 8x10, and two 4x10s, and he wants to sell me the whole shebang. There's another 8x10 for sale locally which I'm trying to snag... So I'd sell off the 4x10's and end up with my goal: three heads and three cabs. Rock.

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Keep me up on dose 410s, OK?

11. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Gee, and here I am trying to pick up a second amp (aiming for a Mesa D-180) and a pair of Powerhouse 1000's like a shmoe!

Hey, Rob, you ever see Jucifer? They won't help with your GAS problems.

Funny how too much is never enough;)

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Gratitude, soldier, gratitude.....I know how it is to struggle....Now I go to G.A.

13. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Man you're gonna push some serious decibels with all them SVTs. Why may I ask do you need 3 complete setups? Why not one prime head and a backup with one cab? Is it because you want to leave a setup somewhere? (I would if I had to haul 8X10s).

One more thing...don't be so quick to sell off dem 4X10s...you know how preferences change. You might find lots of gigs where you either can't use a fridge, or you will not feel like hauling it. I use a 4X10 exclusively with my SVT heads and get great tone, plenty volume (loud classic rock) in all our gig spots, and would not consider hauling the 8X10. Of course each his own etc.

14. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Slacker, yeah I have seen Jucifer in baltimore. Holy gear!

Lucky - it's not that I *need* three complete setups. :) I do need at least two separate rigs, because yeah, each rig gets left in it's respective practice space. The third rig would be backup...

And yeah, I might not write off those 410's just yet.

I gotta sell some gear to finance all this...