My amp has a definite vibe...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wraub, Aug 8, 2019.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    ...in that, when you turn it on, it vibrates. (Out of the gutter, please. :D ) It is an 80s Peavey combo.

Most amps ime will hum or not, but this one has vibration as if from a fan, and actually feels and, although just barely audible, sounds a lot like a gaming PC case.

This amp has no fan. It is also not a gaming PC.

Are the above signs of an impending failure? ...or possibly just an old machine running as designed?
    It sounds very good and sees almost daily use, but, I stress because, me.

Thanks.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  2. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    wraub, move this post over to the combo club and see if Morrighan might have an answer for ya.

wraub likes this.
  3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Just guessing here, but....I suppose a 'big iron' power transformer could cause a 60 Hz vibration. Typically they're bolted to the chassis with 4 bolts, might check to see that those are tight. Transformers also sometimes have bolts through them to hold the end caps on and keep all the laminations tight together, make sure those are snug too.

MarkA, Wisebass and wraub like this.
  4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi wraub

monty-python-no-o.gif

Old Peaveys have a lot of fans! :laugh:

Crater might be into something here!

I never had that problem with an amp. But I had a model train when I was a kid.:D

The trafo moved on the table once the "felt" on the bottom was worn off.

I remember my Dad replacing it with a rubber pad and screwing it to…

Long story short: Check the screws!!! :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021