Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp has gone crazy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 23, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I have a little Peavy Microbass at home for practicing and I've had it for about 6 years. A few days ago it just started making this loud hissing noise that is the same volume whether a bass is plugged in or not. It's really annoying. I took it apart a bit just to see if something is loose. I am no electrician but didn't find anything that looked too wrong. I don't know where to start. I mean it is only about $70 to replace it but it sounded so good and I have my big set up at my groups practice room. What is the best way to fix this problem ( i've thought about it too much and could use some outside thinking). Thanks, Ryan

2. Without knowing the product specifically, as an electrical engineer this sort of symptom is typical af a faulty capacitor, either in the power supply or a filter circuit. A good tech will find and replace it in 15-20 minutes, and probably charge $25-$50 for the time IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Try Peavey's site http://support.peavey.com/~amps/login and one of their support people may answer you if this is a documented problem with that model.

3. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, thanks. I'm going over to the Peavey people right now.