My amp has gone crazy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 23, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I have a little Peavy Microbass at home for practicing and I've had it for about 6 years. A few days ago it just started making this loud hissing noise that is the same volume whether a bass is plugged in or not. It's really annoying. I took it apart a bit just to see if something is loose. I am no electrician but didn't find anything that looked too wrong. I don't know where to start. I mean it is only about $70 to replace it but it sounded so good and I have my big set up at my groups practice room. What is the best way to fix this problem ( i've thought about it too much and could use some outside thinking). Thanks, Ryan

2. Without knowing the product specifically, as an electrical engineer this sort of symptom is typical af a faulty capacitor, either in the power supply or a filter circuit. A good tech will find and replace it in 15-20 minutes, and probably charge $25-$50 for the time IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Try Peavey's site http://support.peavey.com/~amps/login and one of their support people may answer you if this is a documented problem with that model.

3. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, thanks. I'm going over to the Peavey people right now.