Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp is crappy and I'm happy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck aka: Uncle Kenny Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Here is the rig that I just put together for my punk band. A crappy Crate 2x15 made out of MDF in China. It's loaded with crappy Ashdown Blueline speakers, and powered with a Crate BX 440 head (I think its a decent head, but people have told me how crappy it is). And it sounds surprisingly good. Nice warm old school tone that can shake the walls and still stay clean.

Let the Crate hate begin.......

Attached Files:

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My singer has a crate bass amp combo and it actually sounds pretty good. It's about 100w going through a single 15", so I'd imagine your 2x15 could sound quite tasty as well. You could always buy a tube head and put some eminence speakers in your 2x15 cab..."problem" solved? lol

I'm a 2x15 fan myself...

[​IMG]

3. Register_To_Disable

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If you like it what is to hate? :)

5. Monster Truck

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

I actually had some Eminence Legends in it. I just got the head back today and thought it sounded better with the Bluelines. Now the Legends are in my Ashdown cabs. The internal dimensions are about the same so I guess that makes the drivers interchangeable.

6. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Metropolis Il
    Hey if you're happy with it that's all that matters. People that tell you it's a crappy rig are just gear snobs IMHO.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I once did a gig where I had a B-15, another bass player brought a Walter Woods and a Schroeder 112 cab, and the third guy showed up with an old Crate head and 215 from the 80's. It worked, he played really well, and though he had a schlep from hell going up and down stairs, he sounded really good.

8. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    +1 for the Astros cup!

9. We need more threads like this!

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    Not gonna lie, but I kinda liked the tones I was able to get out of one of those Acoustic combo amps.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ya don't say? I put two Eminence Legends in that cab above, but mine is rather big (as big as an Ampeg fridge) and has a massive port down at the bottom of the cab...porting probably has something to do with why mine sounds different.

Your guess is as good as mine on the driver compatibility, I am by no means a sound engineer lol.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No joke at all, I was wondering if someone would notice that when I posted this lol. Even if someone isn't an Astros fan, you gotta admit...Minute Maid Park is pretty freakin cool :)

13. Monster Truck

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

When I first got the Ashdowns I loved 'em cuz of the deep low end. After a few months I noticed the lack of mids and it really bugged me, so I replaced them with the Eminence Legends. The Eminence speakers sound great with my SWR head, and even better with my Genz, but kinda ho-hum with the Crate. Then I tried the Crate with the Ashdowns, and I was blown away. I guess the head is just a good match for those speakers.

14. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I can't wait to try an all-tuber on my eminence legends...my VT Bass deluxe sounds beastly through them, I can only imagine what a Traynor, Orange, Fender, or (hopefully) Ampeg all-tuber would sound like through them. DYING to get an SVT-VR on top of that cab =)

Do you play with flats on your P through that Crate head? I can only imagine how great it would sound with some worn-in flats on a P :bassist:

15. Monster Truck

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

D'addario half rounds, but I keep my tone knob all the way down.

16. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Whatever makes you happy is all that is important.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The amp isn't "crappy" it's inexpensive. If you like it and it's reliable then it's great amp.

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Well... if you put Ashdown BlueLine speakers in it it is no longer a Crate. It is now a CrashDown. :D
    Crank it and knock the paint off the walls. :bassist:

19. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    +1

I swear by my Peavey amps. A lot of guys around here would turn their nose up if asked their opinion on them. You know what though? I have never had one break down on me regardless of how I abused it.

20. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Was just at the park this past monday night's game. Had a blast sitting at the dugout on the 2 to 3 base line. It was my son's first baseball game.

21. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "if it sounds good, it is good"

-duke ellington