Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp is dead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Jul 13, 2002.

1. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Well its not dead but its crap. To fix it, it will have to be sent away for possibly months and it might cost more then its worth. So I need a new amp. Not a used amp. I need a good warrenty. I just bought 2 Eden 115-xlts and my amp craps out. I have about $1000 - $1400. I like loud warm slightly overdriven sock you in the chest bass sounds. It needs to be able to run 2 8ohm 400watt cabs.

And I need to be able to buy them locally which probably means Guitar Center... yes I know... I know

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The Eden WT-800 would be a good choice. But if you want to put out a full 400w per side at 8 ohms, you'll need a dedicated poweramp. I'd try the QSC PLX 2402 (not sure if Guitar Center carries it, but it'd be something like $1000 new, maybe less) with a good "overdrive" style preamp (alembic F2b, SWR IOD, EBS classic, or anything with a sansamp BDDI.)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-800. Don't worry about not getting the full 400 watts per side. You'll have plenty of oomph. But you WILL need some 10's to go with those 15's. Fifteens by themselves just don't get any tone (yes, even Eden 15's). They just hang out in the low mids, have no bottom and have no top. Real tone suckers.

Yes sir, you need some 10's, even if it's just a D-210XLT. What you ought to do after you get your WT-800 is get two D-210XLT's, one to set on top of each D-115XLT. Then you will get your full 400 watts per side, and some tone to go with it. This rig would KILL.

4. One of my many dream rigs:

Wal 5 string Mach II, flamed maple top stained red, into an Eden Navigator driving a WT-1000, one channel driving a D-118XL, the other driving a D-410XST... stack the 4x10 on top of the 18, and re-arrange large buildings!

--jeff

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes, that would work.

6. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    As for gigs, I play anywhere from coffee shops to large festivals. The Eden 800 is a bit out of my range. $1000 to 1400 is stretching it as far I can. And the Eden Navigator driving a WT-1000 is way out of my range. I'll also look into some tens. Thanks for the suggestions.

What about the Ampeg svt-classic? I love tube ampegs. Do these go well with Edens? I know they rock 15's and 8x10s.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    A used WT-800 is about $900. That'd leave $500 for you to get a used D-410XLT or a new D-210XLT. New, you should be able to get the WT-800 within your $1400 limit.

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    exactly.

and, yes, that rig would indeed kill.

9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Just wondering, if you can't afford a wt-800, how can you afford an SVT-CL? Last I checked, they were about the same price.

10. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    the cheapest I found wt-800 was just under $1600. And I want to buy new because I need a good warrenty. All my used gear has crapped out on me and I want a warrenty to fall back on. The ampeg looked nice because its loud and I've seen it new for $1400. Also the new GK 2001rb is looking nice.

11. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Mesa Boogie 400+

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I'll second that!

13. Ampeg SVT-4Pro. 1200W, plenty of tasty warm overdrive. About $1200-1300 street. The SVT-3Pro is still darn loud and costs about $300-400 less.

Or you could get any decent 800-1200W rack poweramp and a used rack preamp of your choice. Preamps have no strain on them so it's extremely rare for them to go bad.

Or you can get a Peavey Firebass ($600) and use the savings to buy a 4x10 cabinet, giving you a 2 Ohm stack and 700W output (and a hernia).

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Rogue 200 watt head you'll never have to worry about the reliability on that baby. Just ask Dean Custom Jazz.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    farthino ~

Give Gard a call.